FAQs - Art History Major

Q: How do I become an Art History Major?
A: Prospective Students should review the Admission requirements, which can be found through CSULB's Admission website.

Major Specific Declaration Requirements are needed in order to declare the Art History major in addition to CSULB Admission requirements.

Current Students should speak with an art advisor to determine eligibility for declaring the Art History major. You can reach an art advisor by email or by setting up an appointment through BeachConnect.
Q: How do I become an Art History Minor?
A: Email an art advisor to learn more about the art history minor and requirements. Art advisors will provide further instructions on declaring an art history minor and provide guidance in pursuing appropriate coursework.
Q: What are the Art History Major and Minor requirements?
A: Program requirements for the Art History Major and Minor can be found in the University Catalog.
Q: How to apply for the MA in Art with a Concentration in Art History?
A: For detailed information on the MA application process, please see our Information for Applicants. Both of these applications are required in order to apply for all graduate programs in the School of Art:
Q: Can I Take Art History as a Double Major?
A: It is possible to double major. However, you will need to meet with your major advisor and an art advisor to determine if double majoring is feasible based on units and time to degree.
Q: What do the course numbers mean?
A: Lower-division courses are numbered from 100 through 299. These courses are designed primarily for first- and second-year students. They provide breadth of understanding and the foundation for the more specialized work in upper-division, advanced courses.

Upper-division courses are numbered from 300 through 499. These courses are open to students who have completed the prerequisites to the course, if any, stated in the course description and other departmental regulations given in this Catalog. A "Prerequisite" is a completed course or other measure of academic preparation which provides a foundation for the more advanced course.

Certain 400‑level courses are double‑numbered with 500‑level courses. In these courses the expectations of graduate students, who must enroll in the 500‑level course, are greater than the expectations of undergraduates. Grading scales are different for the 500‑level course and additional work is required of graduate students. A student may not earn credit for both the 400‑ and 500‑level versions of a course.

Graduate‑level courses are numbered from 500 to 799. Courses numbered 500‑599 may be opened to senior students upon favorable petition. Courses numbered from 600 to 799 are open only to graduate students.
Q: I’m a Transfer Student—How Do I Get Credit for Art History Courses Taken at My Previous School?
A: CSULB has agreements with many community colleges in accepting transferred courses. However, if a course you have taken is not being counted towards any specific requirement (and you feel that it should be), contact an art advisor to review eligibility for receiving credit.