The Bilingual Authorization allows candidates to teach in Dual Language classrooms. This authorization is for candidates that wish to teach in classrooms where the language of emphasis is appropriate for instruction and in situations where teachers use the target language for explanation, preview-review, and interaction with families.
The Bilingual Authorization (BILA) is available for candidates in the Multiple Subject, Single Subject, Special Education and Urban Dual Credential Programs.
At CSULB we offer Bilingual Authorizations in the following language areas:
Spanish BILA Authorization
In addition to the requirements for the Credential Programs, candidates must complete the following to receive the Spanish Bilingual Authorization:
- Meet with Meet Professor Olga Rubio, BILA Coordinator-Spanish Authorizations for a Spanish Proficiency Exam.
- Pass the CSET Spanish Subtest III prior to applying to student teaching.
- Take 2 Course Requirements prior to student teaching:
- EDEL 453S - Methodology of Bilingual Education or Pass the CSET Spanish Subtest IV
- CHLS 340 - Latinos in Education or Pass the CSET Spanish Subtest V
Spanish BILA Faculty Coordinator
Dr. Olga G. Rubio
Office: College of Education ED2-194
Asian Languages BILA
In addition to the requirements for the Credential Program, students must complete the following to receive the Asian Language Bilingual Authorization:
- Pass the CSET World Language Subtest III-Language and Communication
- Take the appropriate Culture course for your target language or Pass the CSET World Language Subtest V (Course must be in progress or Exam must be passed at the time of student teaching application.)
- EDEL 455K: Korean*
- EDEL 455C: Mandarin* - Cal Poly Pomona will be offering EWS 301 online during Summer 2019 (May 29-July 2). This course is equivalent to EDEL 455C. Registration ends April 17 for summer. Click here for more information on how to register.
- ASAM 333: Vietnamese* - CSU Fullerton will be offering this course online during Summer 2019. The course at CSU Fullerton is EDSC 541V-50 (class# 11202). The class will take place from 6/24/19-8/2/19. Click here for information on how to enroll at CSU Fullerton through Open University for Summer 2019.
- Take the appropriate Language Methods courses for your target language or Pass the CSET World Language Subtest IV (Course must be in progress or Exam must be passed at the time of student teaching application.)
- EDEL 453K: Korean*
- EDEL 453M: Mandarin*
- EDEL 453V: Vietnamese* - CSU Fullerton will be offering this course online during Summer 2019. The course at CSU Fullerton is EDSC 446V-50 (Class# 11171). The class will take place from 5/6/19-6/28/19. Click here for information on how to enroll at CSU Fullerton through Open University for Summer 2019.
*Course can be taken prior to admission to the credential program. The courses listed above are not offered every semester. Click here to be placed on a email list to be notified when the courses are being offered.
Candidates that are currently in the Multiple Subject Credential Program that have met all of the above BILA requirements at the time of student teaching application, will complete 8 weeks of Student Teaching in a bilingual setting. Candidates in the UTEACH BILA pathway must meet all of the BILA requirements listed above prior to applying for the methods/student teaching portion of the program.
At this time we do not offer student teaching in a bilingual setting for the Single Subject, Special Education and Urban Dual Credential Programs however, candidates can still obtain the bilingual authorization upon completion of all program requirements including student teaching and BILA requirements listed above.
Candidates that already hold a valid California Teaching Credential with an English Learner Authorization do not need to student teach again. Once they have met all of the above BILA requirements, they can visit the Credential Center in EED-42 for assistance in applying for the Bilingual Authorization with the CTC.