Hyflex Instructional Techniques Program Fall 2021
Fall 2021 Program Dates
Register by using the application form in the menu below for one of the following sessions:
Session 1: September 26-October 8
- September 26: Application Deadline
- September 27: Orientation / Start Date
- October 8: Program End Date
- October 8: Deliverables Due
- Spring: Stipend Dispersed
Session 2: November 8-November 19
- November 7: Application Deadline
- November 8: Orientation / Start Date
- November 19: Program End Date
- November 19: Deliverables Due
- Spring: Stipend Dispersed
HyFlex is a course design model that combines face-to-face with online learning that gives students options for attending in person, participating virtually, or watching recordings. Students may be given the choice to change their mode of attendance according to need or preference throughout the term.
Visit our Hyflex Classrooms and Instruction site for more information about resources at CSULB.
In this program, we will present techniques and best practices for teaching in a Hyflex classroom to create an engaging learning environment. In addition, you will have the opportunity of taking a personal tour of a Hyflex Classroom through an appointment with our Classroom Support team (email@example.com). The learning objectives of this program are to:
- Assist faculty in developing student learning objectives using core principles of Hyflex design.
- Identify effective student assessment strategies.
- Present techniques and activities for engaging students in different modalities.
- Provide materials and resources that can be used in the classroom.
There are no prequisites for this program.
Program participants who fall under one of the following categories may not qualify for the stipend, but you are still welcome to participate fully in the program with access to all resources:
- College of Continuing and Professional Education (CPIE) Instructor for Self-Supported (Non-Academic) programs or courses
- Academic Advisors, Teaching Assistants, and Student Assistants
- CSULB Staff and Students
Participants must complete the following requirements to receive the $350 stipend:
- Complete the Hyflex and Hybrid Instructional Techniques BeachBoard course, including learning activities.
- Attend or watch recordings of both training sessions listed below. To get credit for completion, please submit the evaluation form that will be provided to you. Recordings will be posted in the Hyflex BeachBoard course. Live (virtual) training sessions will be held on the following dates:
Using the Tech in a Hyflex Classroom
In this session, you'll experience a hyflex presentation from both an instructor and student perspective. We'll demonstrate how to operate the control panel at the Instructor's station including switching and adjusting cameras to display different viewpoints. We'll also show you how to record and save lectures to a USB drive.
- SESSION 1 | Thursday, Sept. 30 | 11:30am-12:30pm | REGISTER
- SESSION 2 | Wednesday, Nov. 10 | 11:30am-12:30pm | REGISTER
Hyflex Pedagogical Methods
Attendees will collaborate with faculty colleagues to implement flexible teaching and learning strategies into their classrooms. Backward design and flexible course design templates will be used, and faculty will develop and share strategies for making student learning activities flexible across multiple modalities, including synchronous and asynchronous online and in-class modes.
- SESSION 1 | Thursday, October 7 | 11:30am-12:30pm | REGISTER
- SESSION 2 | Thursday, Nov. 18 | 11:30am-12:30pm | REGISTER
Schedule a classroom visit with the ATS Classroom Support team (firstname.lastname@example.org) for hands-on practice using the technology in the classroom.
When will registration for this program close?
September 26 at 11:59 pm.
What is the duration of this program?
How do I know if I qualify for this program?
There are no prerequisites for this program; it is open to all CSULB faculty even if you are not teaching in a “hyflex” classroom.
What are the estimated hours to complete this program?
How can I get hands-on experience with the technology in a Hyflex classroom?
Contact our Classroom support team at email@example.com to schedule an appointment.
Where can I find more information on CSULB hyflex classrooms?
CSULB Hyflex classrooms