Hyflex and Hybrid Instructional Techniques
Summer 2021 Program | July 19-July 30
- Prerequisites: None
- Estimated Hours to Complete: 8-10 hours
- Stipend: AfterCompletion: $350
- Important Dates:
- July 18: Application Deadline
- July 19: Orientation (10am-11:30am) / Program Begins
- July 30: Program Ends
- Fall: Stipend Disbursed
HyFlex is a course design model that combines face-to-face with online learning that gives students options for attending in person, participating virtually, or watching recordings. Students may be given the choice to change their mode of attendance according to need or preference throughout the term.
At CSULB, Hyflex classrooms are equipped with video conferencing and lecture recording technology using a variety of viewpoints (whiteboard, computer screen, at the podium) giving instructors options for delivering course content and interacting with students.
In this program, we will present techniques and best practices for teaching in a Hyflex classroom to create an engaging learning environment. In addition, you will have the opportunity of taking a personal tour of a Hyflex Classroom through an appointment with our Classroom Support team (email@example.com). The learning objectives of this program are to:
- Assist faculty in developing student learning objectives using core principles of Hyflex design.
- Identify effective student assessment strategies.
- Present techniques and activities for engaging students in different modalities.
- Provide materials and resources that can be used in the classroom.
There are no prerequisites to participate. However, program participants who fall under one of the following categories may not qualify for the stipend:
- College of Continuing and Professional Education (CPIE) Instructors for Self-Supported (Non-Academic) programs or courses
- Academic Advisors, Teaching Assistants, and Student Assistants
- CSULB Staff and Students
You are still able to participate in the program and access the course content, resources and work closely with the Instructional Design team in these cases.
Participants must complete the following requirements to receive the $350 stipend:
- Complete the Hyflex and Hybrid Instructional Techniques BeachBoard course, including learning activities.
- Attend or watch recordings of the two (2) training sessions listed below. For each, you must submit the evaluation form that will be provided to you to get credit for completion. Recordings will be posted in the Hyflex BeachBoard course. Live (virtual) training sessions will be held on the following dates:
- Using the Tech in a Hyflex Classroom:
Thursday, July 22 | 11:30am-12:30pm | REGISTER
In this session, you'll experience a hyflex presentation from both an instructor and student perspective. We'll demonstrate how to operate the control panel at the Instructor's station including switching and adjusting cameras to display different viewpoints. We'll also show you how to record and save lectures to a USB drive.
- Hyflex Pedagogical Methods
Thursday, July 29 | 11:30am-12:30pm | REGISTER
Attendees will collaborate with faculty colleagues to implement flexible teaching and learning strategies into their classrooms. Backward design and flexible course design templates will be used, and faculty will develop and share strategies for making student learning activities flexible across multiple modalities, including synchronous and asynchronous online and in-class modes.
- Using the Tech in a Hyflex Classroom:
Schedule a classroom visit with the ATS Classroom Support team (firstname.lastname@example.org) for hands-on practice using the technology in the classroom.
When will registration for this program close?
July 18 at 11:59 pm.
What is the duration of this program?
How do I know if I qualify for this program?
There are no prerequisites for this program; it is open to all CSULB faculty even if you are not teaching in a “hyflex” classroom.
What are the estimated hours to complete this program?
How can I get hands-on experience with the technology in a Hyflex classroom?
Contact our Classroom support team at email@example.com to schedule an appointment.
Where can I find more information on CSULB hyflex classrooms?
CSULB Hyflex classrooms