FAQs for Enrollment Verification vs. Official Transcripts

A verification is a request for a university to verify a student's degree and enrollment information. Unlike a transcript, a verification is simply a confirmation of degrees earned and does not include course grades.

Students may need certification of enrollment to defer student loans, to provide proof of enrollment for their health insurance, to verify degrees for prospective employers or to show proof of academic standing to enroll in another institution.

Verify your degrees and attendance online if you are a current or former student of the university.

If your student loan servicer is requesting your enrollment status, inform them that the information is available at the National Student Clearinghouse.

The University participates in the National Student Clearinghouse Core Service for deferment of student loans and verification of degrees. Employers and background screening firms should contact the National Student Clearinghouse to request printed verification of enrollment and degrees.

If you have a FERPA block in place or a University Financial Hold, information is withheld from the third parties by the National Student Clearinghouse. If a third party requires more detailed academic information, you may need to request an official transcript.

Occasionally, verifications cannot be completed for the following reasons:

  • If you have a FERPA block in place or have a University Financial Hold, information protected under FERPA is withheld from the third parties by the National Student Clearinghouse.
  • Not enough information was provided for a positive identification
  • Conflicting Information (e.g., former name)
  • Specialized Certificate Program

In the event of an incomplete verification, the third party may choose to submit another request and include additional information.

A transcript is a comprehensive record of academic information that includes coursework, grades, credit hours, GPA, and degrees earned.  Unofficial transcripts are free and are available via MyCSULB.  Official transcripts bear the official seal of the University and are required in some situations.

This is a free service to currently enrolled students. Log in to your MyCSULB account and in the drop-down Other Academic menu, select Unofficial Transcripts. Students may request an unofficial transcript when they wish to review their entire academic history including all courses and grades taken at CSULB as well as transfer courses and grades.  In addition, the unofficial transcript provides term and cumulative GPA. 

Students would request an official transcript when they are transferring to another institution, applying to graduate school, applying for an internship or applying for a scholarship.

For currently enrolled students who require an Official Transcript for college application, college transfer, internship, or scholarship opportunities, go to your MyCSULB account and in the drop-down Other Academic menu, select Official Transcripts. This will bring you to the Credential Solutions Self-Service Site through a secure connection. When finished, close the Credential window and return to the MyCSULB page.

For alumni, click here.

Yes, when you place your order for an official transcript, an electronic option is available.