Soyeon Kim combines her backgrounds in both painting and filmmaking to explore various themes, breaking down realism into abstract shapes, patterns, textures, and colors to build unique visual worlds filled with metaphor and symbolism.
Soyeon has been producing independent films since 1993, as well as working on projects in advertising and film production as a director, art director, visual development artist, story artist, animator, and producer. Her works have been showcased in over 500 film festivals worldwide, aired on broadcast television, displayed in museums and galleries, and have won prestigious awards. Her major work includes co-directing the end title sequence of Sony Pictures Animation's 'Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs', and various TV and commercial projects for clients such as Disney, DreamWorks, ABC, American Greetings, United Airlines, Mall of America, Procter & Gamble, Frito Lay, and many others. She runs her own design and animation studio ‘Yellowshed’.
Soyeon Kim Animation Reel.
- MFA in Experimental Animation, California Institute of the Arts (CalArts), 2001
- BFA in Paintings, Seoul Women's University
Design and various filmmaking practices ranging from narrative to experimental media arts
- Commissioned work category: Telly Awards, Addy Awards, AniComm Awards, American Graphic Design Award, and many others.
- Independent film category: Director's Choice Awards at the Black Maria Film and Video Festival, Best Animation Awards at Big Muddy Film Festival, Santa Cruz Film Festival, and many others.
Professional Industry Experience
- Founder & Creative Director of design & animation Studio, "YELLOWSHED."
- various projects for Disney, Dreamworks, ABC, Sony Pictures, American Greetings, Comcast, Proctor & Gamble, Mall of America, and many others.
- Co-director and Lead Animator, Designer of the End Credit Sequence of Sony Pictures Animation feature, "Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs."