Program Educational Objectives
The graduates of the civil engineering program will be:
- Contributors to the solution of complex engineering projects as they apply knowledge of fundamental science and engineering design principles.
- Pioneers that continuously implement/seek advanced degrees and/or continuous education.
- Professional engineers.
- Leaders and managers in the engineering field.
Student Learning Outcomes
The Civil Engineering Curriculum is designed so that each student will have acquired the following competencies during their program of study to meet the program objectives.
The following are the Civil Engineering program student outcomes:
- an ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics
- an ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors
- an ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences
- an ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts
- an ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives
- an ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions
- an ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies
Enrollment and Degree Data
|Semester||BS Enrollment||MS Enrollment||BS Degrees Awarded||MS Degrees Awarded|
The mission of the civil engineering graduate program at CSULB is to provide students with a high-quality educational experience and the technical specialization required to become successful leaders in industry and the society, to engage students in innovative practical research and encourage them to pursue advanced degrees and lifelong learning.
a. Have technical competency in an area of specialization.
b. Have technical knowledge and skills needed to conduct independent and/or innovative research.
c. Keep current with state-of-the-art technologies and advancements in a specialized technical area.
The outcomes of the MSCE program are:
Outcome 1: The ability to analyze a complex system or process in a specialized technical field
Outcome 2: The ability to design a complex system or process in a specialized technical field
Outcome 3: The ability to apply engineering methods considering global, economic, environmental, and societal factors
Outcome 4: The ability to apply tools, and/or technologies to solve problems in a specialized technical field
Outcome 5: The ability to apply advanced knowledge of mathematics to solve engineering problems