Program Educational Objectives
The graduates of the civil engineering program will be:
- Contributors to the solution of complex engineering projects as they apply knowledge of fundamental science and engineering design principles.
- Pioneers that continuously implement/seek advanced degrees and/or continuous education.
- Professional engineers.
- Leaders and managers in the engineering field.
Student Learning Outcomes
The Civil Engineering Curriculum is designed so that each student will have acquired the following competencies during their program of study to meet the program objective.
The following are the Civil Engineering program student outcomes:
a. An ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering
b. An ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data
c. An ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability
d. An ability to function on multidisciplinary teams
e. An ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems
f. An understanding of professional and ethical responsibility
g. An ability to communicate effectively
h. The broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context
i. A recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in lifelong learning
j. A knowledge of contemporary issues
k. An ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice
Enrollment and Degree Data
|Semester||BS Enrollment||MS Enrollment||BS Degrees Awarded||MS Degrees Awarded|
The mission of the civil engineering graduate program at CSULB is to provide students with a high-quality educational experience and the technical specialization required to become successful leaders in industry and the society, to engage students in innovative practical research and encourage them to pursue advanced degrees and lifelong learning.
a. Have technical competency in an area of specialization.
b. Have technical knowledge and skills needed to conduct independent and/or innovative research.
c. Keep current with state-of-the-art technologies and advancements in a specialized technical area.
The outcomes of the MSCE program are:
- The ability to apply an advanced knowledge of mathematics to solve engineering problems. (Objective A)
- The ability to analyze and design or manage a complex system or process in a specialized technical field. (Objective A)
- The ability to apply tools, techniques and/or technologies to solve problems in a specialized technical field. (Objectives B, C)
- The ability to communicate effectively in oral and written formats.
- The ability to synthesize current trends/techniques in a specialized technical field through continuous research. (Objective C)