Finance Symposium and Partnership with Barron’s
BeachFinRising – Listen-Learn-Connect Department of Finance hosts a semi-annual symposium
The competition among educational institutions for prospective students in higher education continues to intensify. In an effort to raise awareness of our programs and rich offering of courses, the Department of Finance hosts a semi-annual symposium that brings together the students of California State University Long Beach, finance industry leaders, and members of the community to discuss emerging trends and career opportunities in Finance. Industry professionals speak on a range of topics imparting their expertise through presentations, panel discussions, and Q&A sessions.
The purpose of the symposium is to achieve the following:
- Enhance the brand equity and reputation of the Department of Finance, the College of Business, and the University as a whole
- Raise awareness of the programs offered at both the graduate and undergraduate levels such as major/minor in Finance and Masters in Finance
- Involve and engage the local business community and alumni
- Involve and engage current and prospective students
- Provide networking opportunities for current and prospective students
- Connect students with potential employers for internship and employment opportunities
- Foster engagement with the business community in accordance with the AACSB guideline.
Topics covered include:
- Economic outlook
- Women in Finance
- The dominance of large technology firms in times of crisis
- Private Equity & Venture Capital Firms
- Role of CFO in Public Companies
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- CSULB alumni first job experiences
- Investment Strategies
- Capital Allocation Strategies
Barron’s in Education
The Department of Finance has partnered with the Barron’s in Education program that is funded by TSG Wealth Management of Long Beach. Barron’s vision is to “Connect business with academia to enhance financial proficiency; aiding the development of the next generation of business leaders and advisors”. The program provides faculty with tools to bring real-world content into the classroom with the goal of enhancing student engagement. In addition, it helps to organize webinars, connects career services with Dow Jones corporate recruitment teams for job/internship opportunities, and coordinates visits for students to the Dow Jones headquarters in Manhattan. The first webinar as a result of this partnership was held on November 5, 2021, exclusively for members of California State University Long Beach. The 1-hour session began with an introduction of the program followed by a discussion on the topic of Personal Finance by Brian Cheney, Director of Trading from TSG. The session had 165 registered participants and attendees had the opportunity to ask live questions.