J-1 Regulations

Your visa is the large photo stamp in your passport. The visa expiration is the date up to which you are permitted to enter or re-enter the United States—it is NOT an indication of the length of permission to stay.

You only need to renew your visa if you are going to travel outside of the U.S. and then return to the U. S. after the expiration date on the visa page in your passport. All visa renewals must be obtained at a U.S. embassy or consulate outside of the United States.

The J-1 Research Scholar/Professor may extend the program up to 5 years from the original start date on the DS-2019.  The J-1 visa renewal is needed only if the scholar intends to travel outside the U.S. and the J-1 visa has expired.

For the DS-2019 extension, the sponsoring department must make the request at least two weeks before the end date of the DS-2019. In addition, proof of J-1 health insurance must be provided.

During your J-1 program, if you wish to travel outside of the United States, you must visit the Office of International Affairs with your DS-2019 BEFORE you leave so that we can provide a travel validation signature. Your passport must also be valid. You can renew your passport at your country’s embassy or consulate in the United States.

The U.S. Department of State requires that J-1 Exchange Visitors and any family members accompanying in J-2 status be covered by health insurance that meet its requirements. Willful failure to comply with this requirement will result in the ending of your J-1 program. Information about health insurance plans are available at the Center for International Education.

You are only permitted to do the activity that is indicated on your DS-2019. If you are interested in accepting other kinds of work or compensation during your stay, you must obtain permission from your international scholar advisor at the Center for International Education before you receive payment from or provide services to a U.S. entity. Do not accept any unauthorized employment.

Your J-1 status and DS-2019 expire when you finish your research or teaching program, regardless of the end date listed on your current DS-2019.  

Once you finish your J-1 program, you have a 30-day grace period to prepare for departure or tour the U.S. In the future, if you would like to repeat the J-1 research scholar/professor program, you must wait 2 years from the end date recorded in SEVIS. You may apply for other visa statuses.

This 2-year bar does not apply to J-1 short-term scholars.

Before you end your program, please inform our office 

The 2-year home country physical presence (foreign residence) requirement—or INA Section 212(e)—only applies to certain J-1 exchange visitors. This rule is DIFFERENT from the 2-year bar above. If you are subject to Section 212(e), and are thinking about applying for the H-1B or L-1 status, or a green card, you must first fulfill this requirement by living in your home country/foreign residence for 2 years, or can request a waiver from the government of your home country/foreign residence.