Obtain CSULB Form I-20
The Form I-20 is a multi-purpose document issued by CSULB certifying that a student has been admitted to a full-time academic program and has demonstrated sufficient financial resources to stay in the United States. The CSULB Form I-20 is required to apply for an F-1 visa at a U.S. Consulate or Embassy.
Freshman, transfer, and graduate students starting a new program at CSULB must obtain a CSULB Form I-20.
- Prepare the required documents:
- Submit the CSULB Form I-20 request with your documents:
Complete the request online through the links below. Requests are not accepted through email.
Form I-20 will be processed and delivered electronically to your CSULB student email. After you receive your CSULB form I-20, you can Apply for an F-1 Visa
Current U.S. students holding valid F-1 status must request a transfer of their Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) record to CSULB. Once CSULB receives the transferred SEVIS record, you may go to the link below for instructions and application to request your CSULB Form I-20.
Request your SEVIS transfer to CSULB:
- Contact your current international student office and request a SEVIS Transfer. Your advisor will assist you on choosing an appropriate transfer date.
- Provide your current school the CSULB SEVIS School Code: LOS214F00361000
- Show CSULB admissions letter
- CSULB does not use a SEVIS transfer form
Please note: Apply for CSULB I-20 at least 4 weeks before the start of the term. Please refer to the campus Academic Affairs Calendar for the date.
Transfer students may travel internationally between school programs. Upon re-entry to the U.S. student must show the new CSULB Form I-20.
It is NOT necessary to visit the U.S. embassy/consulate for a new F-1 visa unless the current F-1 student visa in the passport has expired or will expire before date of re-entry to the US. Students do not need a travel signature on the new CSULB I-20 for their first entry to the U.S. while in-between programs
Re-entry to the U.S. will require students to show the following documents at the Port of Entry:
- Passport (valid at least 6 months into the future)
- Valid F-1 student visa in the passport
- NEW CSULB I-20
- Small, blurry, incomplete, or incorrect information
- You will be notified to re-submit documents if necessary.