Frequently Asked Questions

  • Bachelor’s degree students must enroll in at least 12 units every Fall and every Spring semester.Master's degree students must enroll in at least 8 units every Fall and Spring semester.
  • Credential program students must enroll in at least 12 units every Fall and Spring semester.
  • Undergraduates must also comply with the university’s Timely Graduation Requirements

All undergraduate students must fulfill the Graduate Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR) to be awarded a CSULB degree.  

  • Each passport has an expiration date listed; it is your responsibility to keep your passport valid at all times.
  • If your passport expiration date is approaching, contact your embassy or consulate to renew your passport.
  • Provide International Students and Scholars with a copy of your valid passport.

No. It is legal for you to be in the United States with an expired visa as long as you are in good F-1 status; however, you must have a valid visa to re-enter the United States if you travel.

If you will be traveling outside of the United States and have an expired visa, we recommend that you travel during the summer or December breaks so that you will have a better opportunity to renew your visa in time to return to your studies.

You should have the following:

  • your current I-20
  • a current financial statement
  • a current academic transcript
  • a passport valid for at least 6 months

Contact the U.S. Consulate in your home country for a complete list of requirements specific to your country.

Meet with an International Student Advisor to apply for a program extension.

As part of your admissions process at the other university, you may be asked to bring us a form to verify that you have maintained your status while at the University. You will need to provide an acceptance letter to the new university and fill out the Transfer Out Request Form.

  • As an F-1 or J-1 student, your I-94 does not have an expiration date.
  • Your I-94 should contain the phrase “D/S” which stands for “Duration of Status.” This designation means that as long as you are satisfying all the legal requirements of your student status and making normal progress toward completing your degree, you are legally allowed to stay in the United States. 

For more information, visit U.S. Customs and Border Protections 

Under the F or J status, you are required to be enrolled full-time during the Fall and Spring semesters. If you decide to take a semester break please schedule an appointment with an International Student Advisor.

Many students travel during the winter, spring, and summer breaks as enrollment is not a requirement during these breaks.

  • If you intend to travel for a short period of time while classes are in session, please communicate with your instructor and make sure you are able to complete your courses.
  • If you are not able to complete all your courses for the semester, please consult with an International Student Advisor.

F-1 students will need to request a Verification of Enrollment letter from CIE.

For more information, review this handout: How To Apply for a California Driver’s License [PDF]

Students should update their address through MyCSULB. If you are on OPT and can not access MyCSULB, please use the OPT Employment and Address Update Form.

We ask that you allow at least 7-10 business days for documents and requests to be processed. Notice of processed documents will be sent through e-mail addresses provided on the forms.

Begin by updating your passport in your home country or at your country's embassy or consulate here in the U.S. Once you receive the updated passport, please submit a copy of it with a Document Request Form to request a new I-20 at CIE. Your name will be updated in the university system and on your I-20. You will receive a new I-20 in the new name.

You should then update your name with the Social Security Administration, the Department of Motor Vehicles, and any other agencies which have records for you.

Learn more about the Invitation Letter to Family & Friends [PDF] for visits to campus.