Apply for a Visa

When the international visiting scholar has been accepted to the CSULB program for research participation, CIE will issue an immigration document so that the scholar is eligible to apply for the J-1 visa at a U.S. consulate or embassy. 

Generally, the scholar candidate should prepare the following documents:

  • Passport valid for at least six (6) months beyond your period of stay in the United States. Family members or dependents must also submit a separate application.
  • DS-2019 Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status. This form will be provided by CIE.
  • SEVIS Fee.  J-1 Scholars will use their DS-2019 information to pay a $220 SEVIS fee at least three (3) days before applying for the J visa. J-2 dependents do not have to pay this fee.
  • Online Visa Application Form DS-160. Instructions on how to complete the form can be found here.  You will upload your photo while completing the online Form DS-160. 
  • Application fee payment receipt.
  • The J-1 scholar candidate must check their local U.S. consulate on additional requirements and instructions for the J-1 visa appointment.

The list of U.S. embassies and consulates around the world can be found here: