This information is specifically for continuing CSULB students only.
Students majoring in chemistry, biology, environmental science and policy (ESP), geology, materials science, chemical engineering, and biomedical engineering, are required to complete general chemistry (CHEM 111A and 111B) as part of the chemistry sequence of classes needed for their degree. The following information explains how to be permitted to register for CHEM 111A.
Placement information for incoming first-time first-year students is available at Chemistry Placement for Incoming CNSM First-Time First-Year Students.
Continuing CSULB Students
Continuing CSULB students are eligible to register for CHEM 111A once they meet one of the criteria listed below:
- Chemistry AP Exam scores 2 or 3
- completed CHEM 140 with a grade of "C" or better or are currently enrolled in CHEM 140
- successfully completed CHEM 90 (CR)
- eligible to repeat CHEM 111A
- received a score of 24 or better on the CPT test prior to Spring 2021
- successfully completed CHEM ALEKS online assessment
CHEM 90 students will be cleared as soon as grades are final, approvals from ALEKS will be updated weekly.
CHEM ALEKS learning module is designed to evaluate individualized knowledge gaps and utilize computerized adaptive learning software to enhance your preparation in basic chemistry concepts. The learning module contains 78 topics, as follows:
- Math and Physics (6 Topics)
- Matter, Measurement, and Problem Solving (28 Topics)
- Atoms and Elements (13 Topics)
- Molecules and Compounds (22 Topics)
- Chemical Reactions and Chemical Quantities (6 Topics)
- The Units of Measurement (3 Topics)
The learning module will take 6-80 hours to complete depending on your level of chemistry knowledge, you may spread this over multiple days/weeks.
You need to score 80% for unrestricted access to CHEM 111A. Please note that 80% means that you have "mastered" or "learned" 63 topics (out of 78 topics total). The learning module will also help you review for CHEM 111A and counts in place of the extra credit assignment in ALEKS which is given in CHEM 111A the week before classes start.
How to Sign Up
To complete the online learning module, go to ALEKS - Student Registration, enter the class code AG43R-WN99L, and follow directions. You will need to purchase the ALEKS license, the cost is $25 for 6 weeks access.
How to Get Help
For technical help with the ALEKS learning module, please contact CHEM-ALEKS-Help@csulb.edu.
For questions about general chemistry course equivalency, please contact Chemistry and Biochemistry Department Advising.
For advising-related questions about chemistry placement, please contact your college's advising center: