Employment Authorization

Degree–seeking international students may be eligible for employment and other types of practical training in the U.S. with certain restrictions.

International Students and Scholars Services provides guidance to students about their benefits and responsibilities in accordance with immigration regulations and policies. Meet with an International Student Advisor if you have questions.

  • On-Campus Employment
  • Off-Campus Practical Training:
  • Special Cases Off-Campus Employment:
    • Employment Based on Severe Economic Hardship
    • Special Student Relief for F-1 Students
    • Employment with an International Organization
  • Volunteering vs. Employment
    • Immigration regulations characterizes employment as providing “services or labor for an employer for wages or other remuneration.”  The term “remuneration” is very broad and could include non-monetary benefits, such as free housing, food, gifts, etc.

      The Department of Labor, defines a volunteer as an “individual who performs hours of service… for civic, charitable, or humanitarian reasons, without promise, expectation or receipt of compensation for services rendered.”

      To be considered a volunteer, the work performed by the individual must meet the following criteria:

    • No expectation of compensation,
    • The volunteer cannot displace a genuine employee, and the services provided by the volunteer should not be the same services for which he or she was previously paid and/or expects to be hired and paid for in the future;
    • Services are performed for non-profit organization for the public service, religious or humanitarian objective.