Computer Proficiency Exam (CPE)
CPE is a hands-on computer exam consisting of four Microsoft Office modules: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access. The exam is graded as Pass/Fail. Passing a score (70%) in each of the four modules on the Computer Proficiency Examination (CPE), CPE is a way to satisfy your Computer Proficiency Requirement. Microsoft Office Access is mandatory for this exam. If the student does not have MSAccess, on their MAC or PC, they can use the Student Virtual Lab or download the software through the Software Depot chicklet on the single sign-on home page.
CPE will replace the completion of IS233 (as a pre-requisite for other courses)
All business and pre-business majors shall demonstrate computer literacy and competency prior to taking junior and senior-level courses.
The College of Business (COB) requires all students to demonstrate computer proficiency before graduation.
You can satisfy computer proficiency by completing ONE of the following:
- Passing score (70%) in each of the four modules on the Computer Proficiency Examination (CPE), CPE is a way to satisfy your Computer Proficiency Requirement.
- With Credit (Cr) or "C" or better grade in a transfer equivalent course
- With Credit (Cr) or "C" or better grade in Complete IS 233. Office Productivity Software
|Exam Date||Max. Seats||Login Time||Exam Location||Fee||Register Deadline|
|Friday,April 7 2023||40||10:00 A.M.||ONLINE ZOOM||$40.00 NO REFUNDS||Wednesday, April 5, 11:59 P.M.|
Note: Complete the CPE Registration online by clicking on the date above. A $40 CPE fee must be paid by the Deadline for the scheduled exam date. Payment should be made online. No fee refunds.
*Open seat counts are shown as 'Available Space' on the Registration Page. Alert: Registration will be closed when seats are full. So if you cannot register that may be a reason.
Instructions will be sent to you, and access based on Beach Board will be added after the Deadline. Prepare to log in on time on Exam Day and check a few minutes early 10:00 A.M. to sign in and get set up.
CPE will replace the completion of IS233 (as a pre-requisite for other courses) and a student can take those other courses earlier
Use the panel 'Register and Pay" button to start the registration. Please enter your full name and CSULB Campus ID Number exactly as it appears on your CSULB Student ID card. Please enter your email carefully, because that will be the only way the CPE administrator will be able to communicate with you. You will receive an E-Mail confirmation of your registration. You cannot take the exam unless you have registered online.
- $40 CPE fee must be paid prior to your scheduled exam date.
- Payment should be made online. No Cash payments will be accepted.
- No Refunds for CPE fees will be provided.
- Generally, there is a Deadline to Register at 11:59 PM on a Wednesday the week of the test date.
- Registration will also be closed if seat capacity is full.
CPE Preparatory Workshops (free)
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Access
- Excel and Access Office Hours
CPE Preparation Self Study Materials
- Sample CPE WORD Exam Questions (DOCX)
- Sample CPE EXCEL Exam Questions (XLSX)
- Sample CPE POWERPOINT Exam Questions (PPTX)
- Sample CPE ACCESS Exam Questions (PDF)
- Use single sign-on and click on "Lynda/LinkedIn Learning" to get started!
Exploring Microsoft Office 2010 Volume 1 (Custom), by Robert Grauer et al., Prentice-Hall, ISBN 9781256284321.
Exam questions are similar to the exercise questions in the textbook.
Suggested CPE Study Topics
CPE is a hands-on computer exam consisting of four Microsoft Office modules: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access. The exam is graded as Pass / Fail. To receive a passing grade, 70% of your answers must be correct in EACH of the modules. Note: Microsoft Office Access is mandatory for this exam. If the student does not have MSAccess, on their MAC or PC, they can use the Student Virtual Lab or download the software through the Software Depot chicklet on the single sign-on home page.
This is a 2-hour exam. The format will be defined after registration. You will take the exam using a computer. You will be asked to perform actual manipulation on computers. Examples include formatting a text in Word, writing a function in Excel, inserting a slide transition in PowerPoint, or adding a relationship between tables in Access. You will save your results on a USB drive that will be provided to you, and your exam will be graded by an instructor.
- There is no limit as to how many times you can take CPE; however, there is a $40 fee for every attempt.
- If you do not pass CPE and decide to retake it, you will need to take ALL modules, regardless of whether you passed any individual modules in prior exams.
Day of the Exam
- Bring your CSULB Student ID card
- Prepare or Arrive as directed 30 minutes early be ready to sign-in and get set-up.
Results will be available within 7 days of taking the exam, and it will be emailed to your provided Email. If you pass CPE, COB Center for Student Success is notified and your transcripts are updated.
No Refund will be issued.
To request disability-related accommodations, please reach out clearly in advance to BMAC and the contacts below.
Open seat counts are shown as 'Available Space' on the Registration Page. Alert: Registration will be closed when seats are full. So if you cannot register that may be a reason.
Once the registration deadline has passed, you will be emailed with further instructions and your CPE access provided.
CPE schedule and test-related questions:
Asela M. Thomason, M.B.A
College of Business
California State University Long Beach