If you need to be away from work for a period of time, you may be eligible for a paid or unpaid leave of absence. The following leaves are available for faculty members.
2022 COVID-19 Supplemental Paid Sick Leave
California Senate Bill 114 provides supplemental sick leave benefits to employees requiring leave for qualifying reasons caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. The bill is in effect through September 30, 2022 and is retroactive to January 1, 2022. It provides up to 80 hours of supplemental leave for full-time employees, prorated for those working less than full-time. Up to 40 hours of this time is available only when an employee or family member tests positive for COVID-19.
Questions regarding eligibility can be sent to AA-FacultyLOA@csulb.edu.
The following leaves of absence are available to faculty for purposes such as research, scholarly and creative activity, instructional improvement or faculty retraining.
- Sabbatical Leaves
- Difference-in-Pay Leaves
- Personal leaves of absence without pay may be granted for reasons such as outside employment or purposes of a personal nature.
- Professional leaves of absence without pay may be for purposes of research, advanced study, professional development or other purposes to benefit the campus.
Medical leaves of absence are available for the following:
- Caring for your own serious health condition
- Caring for a family member with a serious health condition
- Parental leave
Additional Types of Leaves
- Paid Bereavement Leave (Article 23)
- For the following types of leave with pay, see Article 22 in the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Military Leave
- Jury Duty Leave
- Leave to Vote
- Absence as a Witness
Leaves for Teaching Associates and Graduate Assistants
The Collective Bargaining Agreement has information on leaves of absence for teaching associates and graduate assistants (Unit 11 employees).