If you need to be away from work for a period of time, you may be eligible for a paid or unpaid leave of absence. The following leaves are available for faculty members.
Expanded COVID-19 Related Leave (ECRL)
The Expanded COVID-19 Related Leave is available to employees who are unable to work or telework for reasons related to Covid-19 in compliance with Senate Bill 95. Up to 128 hours (16 work days) of paid leave is available under ECRL for use through December 31, 2021. The total number of hours shall be pro-rated for employees whose appointment is less than full-time. ECRL may only be used in full day increments.
ECRL can be used for the following reasons:
- Employee is subject to a quarantine or isolation period related to COVID-19 as defined by federal, state, or local orders or guidelines.
- Employee is advised by a health care provider to self-quarantine due to concerns related to COVID-19.
- Employee is attending an appointment to receive a COVID-19 vaccine.
- Employee is experiencing symptoms related to a COVID-19 vaccine.
- Employee is experiencing COVID-19 symptoms and seeking a medical diagnosis.
- Employee is caring for a family member who is subject to a quarantine or isolation order or guideline or who has been advised to self-quarantine by a health care provider due to concerns related to COVID-19.
- Employee is caring for a child whose school or place of care is closed or otherwise unavailable for reasons related to COVID-19 on the premises.
Voluntary Reduction In Timebase For Full-time Faculty
Full-time faculty members (tenure-line or 3-year full-time appointment holders) may request a temporary reduction of up to 6 WTU in their timebase for the 2021-2022 academic year. This timebase reduction is accompanied by a proportionate reduction in salary and may not be rescinded once approved. Requests should be submitted as early as possible, and no later than August 1, 2021.
The following leaves of absence are available to faculty for purposes such as research, scholarly and creative activity, instructional improvement or faculty retraining.
- Sabbatical Leaves
- Difference-in-Pay Leaves
- Personal leaves of absence without pay may be granted for reasons such as outside employment or purposes of a personal nature.
- Professional leaves of absence without pay may be for purposes of research, advanced study, professional development or other purposes to benefit the campus.
Medical leaves of absence are available for the following:
- Caring for your own serious health condition
- Caring for a family member with a serious health condition
- Parental leave
Additional Types of Leaves
- Paid Bereavement Leave (Article 23)
- For the following types of leave with pay, see Article 22 in the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Military Leave
- Jury Duty Leave
- Leave to Vote
- Absence as a Witness
Leaves for Teaching Associates and Graduate Assistants
The Collective Bargaining Agreement has information on leaves of absence for teaching associates and graduate assistants (Unit 11 employees).