English Language Requirement
English language demonstration is required for all applicants.
CSULB’s English language requirements may be waived for applicants who meet one of the following conditions:
- Obtained a bachelor’s or master’s degree from a U.S. regionally accredited institution.
- Undergraduate Transfer and Second Bachelor applicants with over 60 transferable semester units or 90 transferable quarter units from a domestic U.S. institution.
- First-year student applicants who completed at least three years at a U.S. high school
- First-year student applicants applying from a U.S. regionally accredited institution abroad if all three years were completed at that institution.
- Educated in one of the countries that qualify for an English waiver (listed below).
The following official test results are accepted by CSULB:
Our institution code for TOEFL reporting is 4389. TOEFL official score results must be submitted from Educational Testing Service (ETS). CSULB does accept Home Edition scores, but does not accept "MyBest Scores".
Please note: Duolingo is not listed on the Cal State Apply application; therefore, please choose the "I Am Not Adding Any Standardized Tests" option. After applying, release your official Duolingo report to CSULB.
|ALI Level||Completion of Level 4||Completion of Level 6|
English language requirement is waived for applicants educated in the following countries:
|Antigua & Barbuda||England||Kenya||St. Lucia|
|Australia||Fiji||Lesotho||St. Vincent & Grenadines|
|Belize||Grand Cayman Islands||Nigeria||Trinidad & Tobago|
|Botswana||Guyana||Sierra Leone||Virgin Islands|
*Students from Quebec are required to submit an English demonstration.
|Ireland & Northern Ireland||South Africa||Wales|