New Student Requirements
Congratulations on your admission for Fall 2023!
Please complete the requirements listed below to ensure a smooth transition to CSULB. If you are a Spring 2024 Newly admitted student, please wait until April 2024 to complete these requirements.
- Complete the “Next Steps” list for your academic program level.
Clear Your Holds. You cannot register for classes until all your holds are cleared in your MyCSULB account. Check for these holds:
- International Admissions Documents
- Immigration Check-In
- Health Insurance:
- You are required to purchase the CSULB-approved health insurance coverage via JCB before registering for courses.
- First-year students and Transfers must purchase JCB medical insurance IMMEDIATELY after signing up for SOAR.
- Purchase JCB Health Insurance.
Deadline to Submit Admissions Documents:
- Undergraduate: July 15, 2023
- Graduate and Post Bac: September 1, 2023
Mail Documents to:
Center for International Education
6300 East State University Drive
Long Beach, CA 90815 USA
If you have any questions, submit a ticket inquiry.
- Prepare the required documents:
- A copy of the biographical page (photo page) of your passport.
- and a current financial/bank statement.
- Submit the CSULB Form I-20 Request with your documents. Complete the request online through the links below. Requests are not accepted through email.
Form I-20 will be processed and delivered electronically to your CSULB student email. After you receive your CSULB form I-20, you can apply for an F-1 visa.
After receiving your CSULB form I-20, follow the steps below to apply for an F-1 visa:
- Pay the I-901 SEVIS Fee (online). All prospective F-1 students are required to pay the I-901 Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) fee.
- Print a copy of your payment confirmation.
- Take your SEVIS fee payment confirmation to your visa interview. Carry the SEVIS fee payment confirmation along with your visa when entering the U.S.
- Apply for an F-1 Visa
- Visit the U.S. Department of State’s website for information about applying for an F-1 visa. You can also find your nearest embassy or consulate by visiting the U.S. Embassy website.
- After receiving your F-1 visa, check it for accuracy.
- Make sure that you have digital and hard copies of all your documents when preparing to travel.
- Carry the SEVIS fee payment confirmation along with your visa when entering the U.S.
Complete the online Immigration Check-In:
- New Students: within 3 days of your entry to the U.S.
- Transfer students from other U.S. institutions: complete the immigration check-in anytime after receiving the new CSULB form I-20.
Attend Mandatory New International Student Orientation.
Orientation week begins Monday, August 14, 2023