Steps for Newly Admitted First-Time, First-Year Students
As a first-time, first-year student at CSULB, you will have the opportunity to immerse yourself in unique experiences (both inside and outside of the classroom) that align with your academic goals and life pursuits.
Explore and complete the steps below to ensure you meet all requirements necessary to begin your first semester at CSULB:
Deadline: May 1
Each student gets their own account to access online campus services and their own CSULB email address. This email address is the primary mode of communication from the university to students.
Once you receive your offer of admission, you can follow these instructions to activate your student account:
- Go to the CSULB Password Utility and select Next.
- Then, enter your new CSULB email address (found in your admission email) and follow the instructions to set the password for your account.
- To set your password, you will need to confirm that it’s really you logging in by getting a verification code through a phone call or text message. (The phone number will be the one you used in your Cal State Apply application.)
After you activate your account, you can log in to CSULB Single Sign-On at https://sso.csulb.edu, which is where you will be able to access your new email and other online services for students.
Deadline: May 1
To accept your offer of admission:
- Log in to CSULB Single Sign-On and select MyCSULB Student Center. Throughout your time as a student, you'll use this hub to review your financial aid information, register for classes, check your account balance, and more.
- In the Admissions section, select “Accept/Decline.”
- Follow the instructions to Accept/Decline Admission Offer.
When you accept your admission, you must pay the enrollment deposit, unless you qualify for a waiver. You can pay the enrollment deposit via credit card (MasterCard, American Express, Visa, and Discover are accepted) or electronic check. If you qualify for a waiver, the online process will automatically notify you. Once you accept your admission offer, you will receive an immediate confirmation that your acceptance and deposit have been accepted.
Deadline: June 1
Depending on your major, you may be required to complete certain placement exams before you register for classes. These placement exams help determine the appropriate classes for you to enroll in.
Your placement exam(s) must be completed before your advisement and registration date.
- Math Placement Exam: Students admitted to certain majors are required to take a math placement exam. Explore the Mathematics Placement page for details or connect with your academic advisor for support.
- English Placement Survey: If you have been instructed to complete a Directed Self-Placement Survey, please do so before you attend SOAR and enroll in any written communication classes.
- Chemistry Placement Exam: Learn more about the eligibility criteria for the Chemistry Placement Test.
Check for award notifications starting in April.
Visit the Financial Aid for Newly Admitted Undergraduates page to explore the different types of aid available and how to accept any financial aid offers you may have received.
Plus, be sure to also explore scholarship opportunities for incoming first-time, first-year students.
Deadline: June 1
Student Orientation, Advising, and Registration (SOAR) is a comprehensive program designed to support your transition – both academically and socially – to California State University, Long Beach.
Visit the SOAR website for the latest updates about orientation and advising.
Ready to sign up? Get started by logging in to MyCSULB Student Center and select 'SOAR Sign-Up' in the Admissions section. Visit the Using MyCSULB Admissions page for support in navigating MyCSULB Student Center.
Watch the tutorial video on the right for sign up instructions and additional support.
How to Sign Up Video Tutorial:
Special Note About Registration: If you have any holds on your student record, you may be unable to register for classes. Prior to your SOAR session(s), check for any holds on your record by logging in to MyCSULB Student Center once you have activated your student account (refer to Step #1). Look for the Holds section and follow the instructions for any holds that may appear. If you need help or have questions about a hold, submit a help ticket with Beach Central.
Newly admitted students are encouraged to apply for University Housing once they have been admitted to the university.
First-time, first-year students are required to inform the Housing office where they will be living during their first year at CSULB. Learn more and get started at the First-Year Housing Intention Policy page.
Deadline: July 15
Admitted students who intend to enroll will be required to submit official transcripts in order to confirm high school graduation and finalize CSULB eligibility. Please do not send your high school transcript prior to your graduation unless requested.
Submitting Official Transcripts
Official transcripts may be mailed in their original, sealed envelope to:California State University, Long Beach
1250 Bellflower Blvd.
Long Beach, CA 90840
Electronic copies of official transcripts may be sent directly from your high school to ES-IDPTrans@csulb.edu. Official transcripts cannot be forwarded by the student.
Official transcripts may also be dropped off (in sealed original institution envelope) in person at Beach Central located on the first floor of Brotman Hall.
Submitting Test Scores
- AP/IB Test Scores: Make sure to have official copies of your AP/IB test scores submitted for any potential college credits. Visit First-Time, First-Year Student Test and Transfer Credit for more information.
- SAT/ACT Test Scores: Although CSULB doesn't require SAT/ACT test score for Fall 2022 admission, we strongly encourage you to submit your SAT/ACT exam scores to ensure accurate placement in your courses.
Online Tools for Students:
As a CSULB student, you’ll have access to online tools that will help you meet your educational goals:
- MyCSULB Student Center is your online center for class registration, financial aid awards, and personalized student account information.
- BeachBoard is CSULB’s online learning environment that includes online course catalogs, virtual classrooms, resources and more.
- Beach Connect is CSULB’s mobile app for students. Beach Connect allows you to keep track of important to-dos and upcoming deadlines and make appointments with your advisors and other support resources.
You can access MyCSULB Student Center and Beach Connect through CSULB Single Sign-On. Take some time to learn about these online tools, as you will be using them often during your time at CSULB:
Additional Campus Resources:
- Use the Ask Elbee chatbot in the bottom right corner of the screen to ask a question! You can also make an online appointment with an Admissions Counselor via Beach Central.
- Explore various programs and services provided by the Division of Student Affairs
- Purchase your parking permit and/or explore campus transportation via Parking and Transportation Services.
- Familiarize yourself with The Beach by exploring the campus map.