What is Day 1 Textbook Access?
Day 1 Textbook Access (D1TA) is the CSULB textbook program that provides students with access to all their required textbooks at one price, on the first day of classes each semester. Starting in Fall 2024, D1TA will offer instant access to all required textbooks for a flat rate. Our current estimate is $250 per semester for full-time students and $165 per semester for part-time students.
Student participation in the program is voluntary. All students are enrolled upon class registration and can choose to opt out by the last day to add or drop classes without approval, if they prefer.
Based on the Equitable Access program by the CSU Chancellor’s Office and supported by an ASI Senate Resolution, the goal of D1TA is to achieve student success through access, affordability, and sustainability.
Achieving Student Success Through
D1TA provides students with access to all their required textbooks at one price, on the first day of classes each semester. Starting in Fall 2024, students will arrive on campus with day-one access to all their textbooks via Canvas.
All required textbooks will be delivered for one low, predictable, flat rate, which significantly increases affordability and should positively affect academic outcomes. The cost can be covered by financial aid and is the same price regardless of major.
Using a digital-first model, D1TA provides digital course materials whenever available. This will substantially decrease CSULB’s carbon footprint through decreased printing and shipping of physical books.
How Does Day 1 Textbook Access Work?
All required textbooks will be listed in students' Canvas class pages through the MyTextbooks Hub sidebar navigation.
As a digital-first program, any textbook that is available digitally will be delivered through Canvas. If a book is not available in a digital format, a physical copy can be picked up at the University Bookstore at no additional cost. These also include course packets from Campus Print and Design.
- E-books will be delivered through VitalSource, our campus digital provider partner.
- Courseware (assigned platforms) will be delivered through the publisher courseware tools which link to external publisher websites. E-texts usually come with the courseware and will be included on the publishers' platform.
- Any physical textbooks that show available for pickup can be picked up inside the University Bookstore at the Book Information counter.
Students will be charged with the flat rate before classes begin but have until the last day to add or drop classes without approval to opt out if they choose not to participate.
- Check Enrollment Services Key Dates and Deadlines for the exact opt-out deadline each semester.
- Students who opt out will lose access to the materials provided through the program and will not be charged. Student who paid the charge during registration and opt out will receive a refund towards the end of the add/drop period.
- Any student who stays opted in will retain access to the required textbooks.