Student Orientation, Advising and Registration
SOAR Experience Overview
Housed under the New Student & Family Programs (NSFP) umbrella, Student Orientation, Advising, and Registration (SOAR) is a comprehensive program designed to support your transition – both academically and socially – to California State University, Long Beach. All incoming students are required to complete two components as part of your SOAR Experience:
1. The Orientation Process
There are two parts to your Orientation Process: First, complete the Pre-SOAR Course, then participate in an On-Campus Orientation Workshop. New student orientation workshops are held on-campus. Visit Orientation for more details.
2. The Advising & Registration Process
The Advising & Registration Process is coordinated by your assigned advising center or department faculty member. You will receive a series of communications that introduce this process along with details on how you'll receive academic advising and assistance with registering in courses. Visit Advising & Registration to find more information and links to your specific advising centers.
Parents, Guardians, Family Members, Supporters & Friends
Parents/family members/supporters are encouraged to join the Beach Family Portal and participate in the Parent & Family Orientation program to learn how they can best support their college student.
The goal of Student Orientation, Advising & Registration (SOAR) is to holistically address students’ academic and social transition to California State University, Long Beach. We provide incoming undergraduate students, both first-year and transfers, with a set of common shared experiences and information designed to set the tone for student achievement, personal growth and meaningful connections. Aligning with the university mission, a commitment to providing highly valued undergraduate opportunities is at the core of Student Orientation, Advising & Registration.
Student Orientation, Advising & Registration achieves its goal by:
- Introducing university requirements and expectations along with policies and protocol
- Facilitating the academic advising and class enrollment process
- Promoting an awareness and respect for Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Accessibility
- Presenting the university’s comprehensive academic and co-curricular opportunities
- Initiating an acclimation process to campus life and expectations of our community members
- Contributing to the appropriate retention of undergraduate students at California State University, Long Beach