Next Academic Senate Retreat
Thursday, October 26, 2023, 2-5 pm.
Setting the Context (PowerPoint)
Center for American Progress, “How Public Universities can Promote Access and Success for All Students"
- PPIC Closing the Gap
2014 Retreat Data Sources (DOCX)
- University and College Graduation Rates (PDF)
- Fall '08 Cohort Retention by College and Ethnicity (PDF)
- The Road Never Traveled by Andy Bodman (DOC)
- Live and Learn by Louis Menand
- Habits of the Mind: Lesson for the Long Term
- Our Universities: Why are They Failing? by Anthony Grafton
- Our Universities: How Bad? How Good? by Peter Brooks
- "Do Students Understand Liberal Arts Disciplines?" (Elmore, Pretince, Trosset)
- Association of American Colleges and Universities, Liberal Education: Faculty Work
- Let's Calm Down About Higher Education
- Inside Higher Ed Interview with Author of "Under New Management"
- Future of the CSU
- "Information Technology on Campus: By the Numbers" (DOC)
- "The Mindset List for the Class of 2015" (DOC)
- "The 2011 Mind-Set of Faculty (Born Before 1980)" (DOC)
- McHaney, Roger. "Tomorrow’s Teaching and Learning: Timeslicing in the Classroom." (DOC) Excerpt from chapter 2 in The New Digital Shoreline: How Web 2.0 and Millennials Are Revolutionizing Higher Education. Stylus Publishing, LLC. Copyright © 2011 Stylus Publishing, LLC. All rights reserved.
If You Want to Read More....
- Robertson, Douglas Reimondo. “Feeling Overloaded? You're Not Alone.” NEA Higher Education Advocate (February 2008)
- Cordell, Ryan. “New Technologies to Get Your Students Engaged.” Ryan Cordell. The Chronicle of Higher Education (8 May 2011)
- “Working Better: How To Make Your Gadgets Work For You”
- “Working Better: How to Use Your Email Effectively”
2011 Post-Retreat Evalation and Feedback (Powerpoint in pdf format)
Evaluations by Personnel
Academic Senate Retreat 2010 Evaluations (PDF)
- Faculty Reflection (PDF)
- Administrator Reflection (PDF)
- Staff Reflection (PDF)
- Student Reflection (PDF)
How can the University and the Community best collaborate to promote and improve the “sustainability” of the city and the region?
- 2008 Agenda (DOC)
- Sustainability Readings (DOC)
- Education Sustainability Powerpoint
- Environmental Sustainability Powerpoint
- Discussion Questions (DOC)
Questions and Answers:
- Sustaining Health and Quality of Life Q & A (DOCX)
- Sustaining Cultural and Social Diversity Q & A (DOCX)
- Educational Sustainability Q & A (w/out recommendations) (DOCX)
- Economic Sustainability Q & A (w/out reccommendations) (DOCX)
- Environmental Sustainability Q & A (DOCX)
Issues and Recommendations:
- Sustaining Health and Quality of Life (DOCX)
- Sustaining Cultural and Social Diversity (DOCX)
- Educational Sustainability (DOCX)
- Economic Sustainability (DOCX)
- Environmental Sustainability (DOCX)
- 2007: Educating the Digital Generations - Student Success and Academic Technology
- 2006: Mission Possible - Envisioning Our Future, Changing the Mission & Vision of CSU, Long Beach
- 2005: Measuring Student Success - What Do We Do, How Can We Use It?
- 2004: "The Future of the Baccalaureate" (PDF)
- 2003: "Creating a Graduate Culture" and "Bricks, Books, & Bytes @ The Beach: The Library's Shifting Sands of Research" (PDF)
- 2002: "New Structures for New Times" (PDF)
- 2001: "Rethinking the Culture and Politics of Teaching and Learning"
- 2000: "Retention and Time to Degree" and "Support for Scholarly and Creative Activity" (PDF)
- 1999: "Global Future" and "Conversation about Enrollment"