Defensive Driving

Defensive Driving Monthly Class

For class dates and registration please email:

(Space is limited, registration is required)

Please bring with you to class:

  • Pen
  • Driver's License (Must be a valid, California DL - no out of state licenses)
  • Campus I.D.

Defensive Driver Training

The CSU Use of University and Private Vehicles Guidelines requires State employees (including student employees, graduate assistants and volunteers) to complete Defensive Driver Training every four years in order to drive a State, rental, or privately-owned vehicle, including electric carts, on State/University business.

What is Considered University Business?

Driving to a University sponsored conference/meeting/workshop, professional organization, business lunch, or to an office supply store (or other store) for work supplies is considered University business. Driving to and from work is not University business unless you stop along the way to conduct work related activities.

State employees who drive as part of their job description or more than 12 times annually for university business are required to take the in-person defensive driver training class. After taking the in-person course initially, the employee is eligible to complete the renewal course online. Monthly in-person training is offered by University Police. For questions regarding the in-person training, class dates and registration, please email:

State employees (including student employees, graduate assistants and volunteers) who drive on University business less than 12 times annually, have the option to take the in-person class or the online defensive driver training course. To register for the online defensive driver training course, sign-in to single sign-on and select the CSU Training icon. In the search bar, type in driver training and select the Skillsoft Defensive Driving Certification.

Driver training must be renewed every 4 years.

In addition to completing the defensive driver training requirement, all State employees (including student employees, graduate assistants and volunteers) are required to have a valid California Driver’s License. All drivers are required to participate in the Department of Motor Vehicles Pull Notice Program which provides the University driver’s license status.