Dr. Marco A. Lopez
- CHEM 320A/B, our introductory organic chemistry course for science majors
- CHEM 327, our one semster course in organic chemistry for non science majors
- CHEM 420, Advanced Organic Laboratory
- CHEM 421/521, our course in Advanced Organic chemistry (Physical Organic Chemistry), 421 is for seniors and 521 is for graduate students
- CHEM 522, a special topics course for graduate students and the topic is Bioorganic Chemistry
Ligand Binding to Iron Porphyrins
There are three groups of projects in my lab:
- binding studies of ligands to ferrous hemes
- synthesis of novel ferrous hemes
- computational chemistry of ferrous hemes
Binding Studies of Ligands to Ferrous Hemes
We use UV-vis spectophotometry to mesure rate constants and equilibrium binding constants of ligands (e.g. CO, imidazoles, dimethylsulfoxide, water, methonal) to a variety of tetraphenyl iron porphyrins to characterize the ligand-heme interaction.
Synthesis of Novel Ferrous Hemes
We are interested in creating novel ferrous hemes so as to study electronic effects on the binding of ligands to the hemes.
Computational Chemistry of Ferrous Hemes
We use a variety of computational methods to study the structure and vibrations of ferrous hemes. Computational packages used include AMBER, HyperChem, and SPARTAN.
- Lopez, M.A.; Kollman, P.A., "Application of Molecular Dynamics and Free Energy Perturbation Methods to Metalloporphyrin-Ligand Systems I: CO and Dioxygen Binding to Four Heme Systems" , J. Am. Chem. Soc., 1989, 111, 6212-6222.
- Odasso, J.; Lopez, M.A.: "Development of Spectrophotometeric Methods for Studying Heme-Oxygen Complexes", Proceedings of the Fifth National Conference on Undergraduate Research, (1992), 191-196.
- Lopez, M.A.; Kollman, P.A., "Application of Molecular Dynamics and Free Energy Perturbation Methods to Metalloporphyrin-Ligand Systems II: CO and Dioxygen Binding to Myoglobin," Protein Science, 1993, 2, 1975-1986.
- David, S.; James, B.R.; Dolphin, D.; Traylor, T.G.; Lopez, M.A: "Dioxygen and Carbon Monoxide Binding to Apolar Cyclophane Hemes: Durene-Capped Hemes," J. Am. Chem. Soc., 1994, 116, 6-14.
- Lopez, M.A., Ybarra, C.D., Hyatt, S. "The Chelation of Monochelated Protoheme," Inorganica Chimica Acta, 1995, 231, 121-131