Applying to CSULB

Students may apply to CSULB as first-time, first-year (freshman), upper division transfer or graduate students.

Choose which describes your educational background. Do not include military training from Joint Services Transcripts (JST) when considering this.

Note- Eligible service members who decide to use Tuition Assistance (TA), MUST receive approval from an Educational Service Officer (ESO) or counselor within the Military Service prior to enrolling. If you enroll in coursework without prior authorization it could result in you owing the full balance for tuition and fees for that semester.

  • You may apply as a first-time, first-year (freshman) student. 
  • You must meet minimum first-time, first-year admission eligibility requirements to be considered.
  • Students are NOT required to take the SAT and/or ACT for admission. If you have taken the SAT and/or ACT, you can use your results for English and math placement. 
  • As a veteran, you will be considered a local applicant regardless of where you graduated from high school. This means that you will be considered for admission based on the published minimum eligibility index for first-time, first-year admission. This is for application purposes only and is not the same as being a California Resident; refer to residency to learn more.

  • You may apply as a transfer student.
  • You must meet minimum transfer admission eligibility requirements based on California State University and CSULB’s major specific requirements to be considered. Most student veterans take classes at local community colleges to fulfill these requirements.
  • You will be using your college or university transcripts as your academic record for the application process. Do not submit high school transcripts, SAT, or ACT scores.
  • As a veteran, you will be considered a local applicant regardless of where you graduated from high school. This means that CSU eligible applicants will be offered admission if they meet the major specific minimum cumulative GPA and required lower division preparation, with the exception of “Highly Impacted” majors. This is for application purposes only and not the same as being a California Resident; contact Admissions to learn more about establishing residency for tuition purposes.

If you previously attended CSULB, but left to serve in the U.S. Armed Forces - including the National Guard and Reserves - for a period of more than 30 days, the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008 may provide you with the right to readmission to CSULB within three years of exiting the service. To learn more visit Leave for Military Service and Readmission of Service members to CSULB.

California State University Long Beach extends all beneficial services possible to United States military veterans returning from service, while upholding academic standards. It is recognized that military veterans are discharged from military service in a manner and schedule that may not align with the established admission timeline. Accordingly, the following process has been adopted.

CSULB will extend the undergraduate application deadline to six months following the discharge from military service or release from a hospital stay resulting from combat wounds, not to exceed June 1 for the Fall semester and November 1 for the Spring semester.

To apply for this extension, you must:

  1. Create an account on Cal State Apply.
  2. Email the Veterans Services Office with the following:
    • Name
    • CAS ID# (You will receive this when your Cal State Apply account is created)
    • Major
    • Freshman or transfer
    • Email address
  3. Provide a DD-214, or a certified statement or document signed by a command military officer or NCO indicating the date of discharge and/or the name of the hospital or medical facility in which the applicant received care, and the date of release from that hospital or medical facility.

If you meet the application extension criteria, you will be notified of any additional documents needed to consider your admission application. Other deadlines (file completion, intent to enroll, etc.) will be adjusted as needed depending on the timing of the admission application.

If you have questions about applying to CSULB as a veteran or late applicant, contact Veterans Services.