CA Science Education Conference Credit
Optional 1 Unit of Credit.
CSU Long Beach offers conference attendees an opportunity to earn a unit of upper division science education credit in conjunction with the California Science Education (CASE) Conference.
The cost for the unit of credit is $99.00. Registration materials, and course assignments must be submitted to Dr. Lisa Martin at CSULB by November 7, 2022. Please read carefully and be sure to submit all required items and assignments.
For questions regarding this CASE-CSULB credit please contact the department.
2022 CASE Conference
October 14-16 in Palm Springs, CA.
The California Science Education Conference, hosted by the California Association of Science Educators (CASE), is the pre-eminent science education event held annually for educators from throughout California. Drawing more than 1,000 attendees, the goal of the annual gathering is to develop an educational space for professional learning, deepening connections, fostering creativity, generating new ideas and energizing science educators to build excitement and enthusiasm for science education inside and out of the classroom.
SCED 490A Selected Topics in Science Education
Attendance in at least 12 hours of sessions across any content area is required.
You must verify conference attendance by sending a copy of your conference badge or registration confirmation. You must verify participation in the 12 hours of conference sessions via your Certificate of Attendance.
A written assignment is required for this option. Course registration and payment is required.
CASE Credit Registration Form - SCED 490A sec 01 #12721
Grades should be available at the beginning of January 2023.
California State University, Long Beach is pleased to offer options for one unit of upper division credit to conference attendees who complete the following requirements:
- Must be an officially registered conference attendee (must provide a copy of your CASE Conference Badge/official registration)
- Must attend conference sessions totaling at least 12 documented hours (see above for eligible sessions)
- Submit a copy of your CASE Conference Certificate of Attendance (verification that you attended 12 hours of sessions)
- Written assignment (see below)
- Must submit the required documentation to Lisa.Martin@csulb.edu at California State University, Long Beach to arrive no later than November 7, 2022.
- Participants will be contacted with instructions about how to complete their registration (payment of $99). Failure to make the payment during the allotted time frame will result in not being able to enroll.
The following instructions detail the assignment. The template provide specific prompts and a format for how answers should be formatted.
- Write a description for each session attended (~100 words per session). Describe the session, include key science concepts or teaching strategies addressed. Be sure to include evidence of how the session aligns with NGSS (how is the lesson 3D or what did the presenters share with you that makes this an example of NGSS science teaching and learning?).
- Describe two sessions in more detail (~500 words each). Describe how you will incorporate the strategies or content you learned into your own teaching.
Email the completed documents to:
Lisa Martin, Professor Science Education
California State University, Long Beach
Materials are due to CSULB by November 7, 2022. Grades will be posted by early January 2023. Instructions and information about accessing grades and ordering transcripts are found via Enrollment Services.
The grading will be traditional letter grading.