The Master of Science in Finance (MSF) program at California State University, Long Beach (CSULB) is perfect for students who want to earn their degree in alignment with the Chartered Financial Analysts (CFA). The 12-month MSF program prepares students to analyze financial issues that are of interest to global corporations, financial institutions and international investors. The MSF curriculum prepares students with the knowledge needed to pass the CFA exams and earn CFA certification. This provides an excellent opportunity for MSF graduates working in financial services to advance their careers.
Features and Benefits
• Twelve-month program offers courses in the evening and Saturday morning
• Cohort-based model facilitates networking opportunities
• Opportunity to deal with real-life portfolios in the Beach Investment Group (BIG) program
• CFA prep package is integrated into the program
• Access to an extensive CSULB alumni network
• Career advising and other workshops available
"The CSULB Graduate Programs in Business instilled in me the spirit to succeed in business and the tools to do just that. Now there’s no opportunity in my field that is beyond reach. Go Beach; go anywhere.”
What is included?
Students are required to participate in a two-day orientation. The focus of the orientation is to prepare the student to work in teams, master the Harvard case discussion method, learn to use Excel, and begin the preparation for their career post-graduation. During the orientation, students get to know faculty, fellow students and alumni of the program and begin to work as teams. The orientation is included in the cost of the program.
Career planning and management are an important benefit of the MSF program. Students begin their career planning after they have been admitted and support continues for up to a year after graduation. Students work with a career advisor on identifying career goals and developing a job search strategy, as well as resume writing, interviewing, and other important career skills.
Beach Investment Group - B.I.G.
The CSULB Beach Investment Group (B.I.G.) includes three separate portfolios totaling more than half a million dollars that the B.I.G. students manage in a team-oriented, presentation-intensive environment. The quality of the CSULB B.I.G. is reflected in the success of its alumni, a number of whom have gone on to work at prestigious investment firms, including Goldman Sachs, PIMCO, Wilshire Associates, Western Asset Management, and the Capital Group.
Applicants are expected to possess an undergradaute degree in Finance, or remedy their deficiency by taking FIN 501:Financial Management Concepts or the equivalent at an AACSB-accredited school with a B or better prior to admission. Students must submit a transcript and class syllabus to the program manager for verification.
Please review Admission Information for General Application Requirements for the program.
Integrated and Well Sequenced Curriculum: The program includes CFA concepts that are integrated into both curriculum and exams.
Location: Many international firms such as Toyota and Hyundai have expanded their operations in Southern California. The CFA Society of Los Angeles and the CFA Society of Orange County have about 2,000 and 400 active members.
- Bloomberg Terminal: Students are encouraged to use the Bloomberg Terminals for their research and class-related activities. We offer the ability to become Bloomberg-certified.
- The CFA Institute Code of Ethics and Standards of Professional Conduct (The Code and Standard): Students are expected to familiarize themselves with the CFA Institute Code of Ethics and Standards of Professional Conduct (The Code and Standard) during their time in the MSF program.
- Networking Activities:Students are encouraged to participate in networking events at CFA Society of Los Angeles and CFA Society of Orange County.
- CFA Competitions: Students in the program could participate in the following competitions: