Frequently Asked Questions about Graduate Business Programs applications
The application requires both a Video Statement of Purpose (applicants will post the link to the video) and a Personal Statement responding to the prompt (no more than 1 page). Both of these application components are completed in Quadrant 4. Applicants are encouraged to follow our Cal State Apply Application Guide for support with completing the application.
- Go back to the Cal State Apply application, and after deleting the original request, add a new Reviewer/Evaluator.
- Go back to the Cal State Apply application, and after deleting the original request, add the same Reviewer/Evaluator again with a new due date.
The Recommendation Letters are due the SAME DAY as the application deadline, so do not wait until the last minute to enter the name and contact information for your recommenders.
Even after an applicant submits their Cal State Apply application, they can still access the Recommendation portal. The applicant will need to delete the original request and add a new request with the correct email address. Applicants are encouraged to follow our Cal State Apply Application Guide for support with completing the application.
Evaluators/recommenders will only submit a letter of recommendation. There is no separate form to submit.
Here is some additional advice and information for the Recommendations:
- The Recommendation tab will allow you to add up to three names and emails, however, only two letters are required. A third entry is provided in case one of your other recommenders does not complete the letter in time.
- A Letter of Recommendation should be on formal letterhead with a signature and contact information of the recommender and should include:
- A short summary of their history with the candidate (How/when did they meet? How long have they worked together or when were they in their class? In what capacity do they know them?)
- A detailed statement of the characteristics they believe will enable the candidate to excel in graduate studies
- A few specific descriptions of the contributions the candidate has brought to the organization/ classroom; and
- A strong closing statement of endorsement for their candidacy
- Applicants should submit their application as soon as it is completed. Applicants do NOT have to wait for the Letters of Recommendation to be completed to click Submit, however their recommenders MUST submit the letter on/by the deadline date or the application will be considered incomplete.
- The Recommendation Letters are due the SAME DAY as the application deadline, so do not wait until the last minute to enter the name and contact information for your recommenders.
Use the help icon
in the top section of the page to access on-line chat or telephone help. If your questions go beyond that, additional referral information is provided.