Beach Shops' commitment to protecting our environment is shared throughout our workforce and stems from a corporate-wide philosophy of incorporating environmentally conscious practices in our daily operations. We take pride in our working relationships with business and campus partners who also share this strategic vision in protecting our environment.
FOOD & DINING
Beach Shops is recognized by PETA for going above and beyond to provide students with vegan options and remains committed to increasing the number of vegetarian and vegan menu items at all dining locations. Vegetarian items are indicated by a green leaf on most menus and special signage at residential dining halls. The Dining Halls each have a dedicated vegetarian and vegan section which provides a diverse rotating menu of delicious, nutritious dishes.
- All three residential dining halls are trayless dining facilities, which decreased solid food waste and water consumption by over 30% and also decreased the use of chemicals and energy.
- Additionally, resuable 'to-go' boxes and cups are available for all residents.
Fair Labor Association
The FLA is devoted to combining the efforts of business, civil society organizations, and colleges and universities to promote and protect workers’ rights and to improve working conditions globally through adherence to international standards. CSULB is a registered member of the FLA and is an avid participant in protecting workers’ rights.
- Find us on the Fair Labor Association’s Site
- Fair Labor Association Website
- Fair Labor Association Code of Conduct
- League Collegiate Wear is committed to being in total compliance to the Fair Labor Policy. They go above and beyond by offering a multitude of programs for their employees, including gang rehabilitation and child care.
- Third Street is both a brand and manufacturer that owns and operates their own factories in Missouri. They bring ethical manufacturing to the United States by manufacturing 100% of their products in their company owned USA facilities.
- Nike pursues a sustainable business approach, which includes transparency. Their website discloses all of the factories that source their products. Their goals for 2020 include sourcing 100% from factories that meet their definition of “sustainable”.
- Colosseum is an accredited member of the Fair Labor Association, and works with all suppliers to monitor and improve working conditions at the facilities where our products are made. In addition to implementing a workplace Code of Conduct, they also engage in worker welfare programs like health education and remote parenting training for workers who are far away from home.
- Blue 84 is a wholesale supplier who promotes the corporate social responsibility of conducting business in a socially responsible and ethical manner, supporting human rights, and engaging, learning from, respecting, and supporting the communities and cultures with which they work.
- Under Armour strives to achieve the best performance imaginable for athletes while remaining ethical, accountable, and responsible. They work with the Fair Labor Associatoin, ther Sustainable Apparel Coalition, and the Environmental Defense Fund Climate Corps to ensure that their products are made ethically and sustainably.
In support of the City of Long Beach Plastic Bag initiative, plastic bags were phased out in all Beach Shops retail operations in 2012.
- Beach Shops recycles over 7,000 pounds of cardboard per month. In partnership with EDCO, a company that specializes in organic waste recycling, we eliminate 2.67 metric tons of carbon dioxide per ton of waste.
- Recycling takes place at all Beach Shops locations. Trash is sorted first in house with 80% qualifying as compostable. The remaining 20% is further sorted offsite.
- In 2018, Beach Shops' total cardboard recycling weight was 107,560 lbs.
- Beach Shops has diverted more than 232 tons of cardboard from the landfill since record keeping began in August of 2011.
- 95% of the to-go containers used throughout campus are recyclable and/or compostable.
- As part of the Green Bag Campaign, reusable bags are sold at the University Bookstore.
- Starbucks and our on-campus Convenience Stores currently sell reusable beverage containers for hot beverages and water.
- In Fall 2015, Beach Shops replaced cardboard boxes at our Residential Dining facilities with Green To-Go Boxes. All residents receive a free Green To-Go Box to carry meals out. These boxes are washed for students to reuse throughout the semester. Switching to plastic has saved over 10 tons of paper.
Beach Shops has installed water bottle refill stations throughout our facilities to reduce the number of plastic bottles on campus.
Energy Star qualified vending machines replaced older models around campus, saving 47,785Kwh, and a total of $4,779 per year. Beach Shops continues to evaluate appliances and systems to ensure we provide alternative green options.