Admission to all majors at CSULB is competitive as CSULB continues to have more qualified applicants than available new student spaces. All CSULB undergraduate majors continue to be "impacted." As a result, all majors have specific admission and declaration requirements. Please carefully review the information for your major, as requirements for some majors may differ from those previously listed for prior semesters.
All transfer students must declare a major when submitting their application. Review Transfer Application and Admissions for eligibility and application details.
To review the detailed major specific requirements, select the name of the appropriate College below. If a major is highly impacted it will be noted in the description of each major and additional supplemental criteria and requirements are indicated in the major specific details. These criteria will be used for Fall 2021 and Spring 2022 admission consideration. Admission criteria are subject to change for future admission cycles.
See ASSIST to determine the courses offered at California institutions which will satisfy the specific course requirements.
- Fall 2021 College of Business
- Fall 2021 College of Education
- Fall 2021 College of Engineering
- Fall 2021 College of Health and Human Services
- Fall 2021 College of Liberal Arts
- Fall 2021 College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics
- Fall 2021 College of the Arts
Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) Participants
The Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) curriculum is used in lieu of the major specific degree requirements. We strongly encourage students to complete both the recommended and required courses as CSULB remains highly competitive in our admissions process. Under current CSU guidelines, the cumulative GPA will be increased by 0.1 and this ‘calculated GPA’ will be applied in the ranking of applicants. Please see the Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) for a complete list of requirements and additional information on how the ADT will be used in the competitive ranking process.
How are students considered for Admission?
- Except for "Highly Impacted" majors, CSU eligible applicants who are considered "local" based on their high school of graduation or their military veteran status will be offered admission if they meet the major specific minimum cumulative GPA and required lower division preparation.
- Other CSU eligible applicants who have met the major specific minimum cumulative GPA and the minimum required lower division preparation will be admitted on a space available basis based on their cumulative GPA and the additional preparation courses completed if specified in the criteria.
- If space is available after all students meeting the minimum major GPA and preparation have been accommodated, then CSU eligible students without the minimum major preparation will be considered.
- Students admitted to the major who have not completed the additional recommended transfer requirements or the additional CSULB requirements must complete them in their first year at CSULB.
BE AWARE: For Fall term admission, coursework and unit minimums must be completed no later than the prior Spring term. For Spring term admission, coursework and unit minimums must be completed no later than the prior Summer term.