Connecting with BUILD mentees
One way to help you connect and attract future trainees is by keeping your research profile up-to-date. This includes your own or departmental website as well as your profile in the Undergraduate Research Mentor Directory. Here are some tips to help you.
Tips for Creating an Inviting Mentor Profile
- Add a personal photo.
- Include a link to your office hours so students know when they can stop by to meet you.
- Include your mentor/trainee contract if you use one. This helps prospective mentees know your expectations ahead of time which can help with determining fit.
- If you’ve had BUILD mentees in your lab before, mention them. Knowing that someone from our program has already been in your lab can be more appealing to students.
- Feel free to add something fun/unique about yourself to your profile!
How To Update Your Profile in the Undergraduate Research Mentor Directory
- Go to the Undergraduate Research Mentor Directory.
- Click on the “Instructions for Faculty” link on the top of the page.
- Follow the instructions to update your Research Mentor profile!
National Research Mentoring Network (NRMN)
The NRMN works closely with all ten BUILD Programs nationwide, and was created to address the need for greater diversity in the biomedical and behavioral research workforce. NRMN offers professional development programs to foster persistence and advancement of research trainees (BUILD Scholars) and early-career investigators (BUILD Mentors) from diverse backgrounds.
NRMN offers various resources to support investigators at a later training stage, specifically postdoctoral fellows and junior faculty. These programs are designed to enhance trainees' career development, preparing them to meet each program's ultimate goal: the submission of strong research and research career development proposals for funding in the biomedical or behavioral sciences. See National Research Mentoring Network for further information.
BUILD Contact Information
We are here to support you and your BUILD trainees. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us if you have any questions or concerns. To help address your question in a timely way, please email us at:
including becoming a BUILD mentor and BUILD mentor requirements
|BUILD awards related questions||BUILD.IDC@csulb.edu|
Questions related to your current BUILD trainee or training activities
Dr. Jesse Dillon