Use this list to gather the required documents that you will need to submit a complete application.
The BUILD and RISE programs use a single application that is submitted online. The application form requires you to type in information as well as upload your application elements. You should have these completed prior to starting your online application. Please read all the information below carefully and contact us if you have any questions.
APPLICATION ELEMENTS CHECKLIST
Online Recommendation Form
- Submit contact information for your recommenders: Online Recommendation Request Form
- Complete the FERPA waiver information (your decision will be sent to your recommender).
- Enter your recommender's names and email address.
- After your recommender has submitted their online form you will receive an automated email notification.
The programs prefer a recommendation from an instructor familiar with your work in the field in which you expect to study/research.
- If RISE is a preferred program, the recommendation form must be from a CSULB Faculty member who has agreed to accept you into their research program.
- If you are applying for the BUILD Fellows program, the recommendation form should be from your current CSULB Faculty member who will also continue to train you while you are in BUILD. If they are not a BUILD Mentor yet, they can become one!
- Inform your recommender ahead of time that you will be listing them as a reference.
- Let them know that they will receive an email with a link to complete the online Recommendation Form (~8 questions) and have the option to upload a formal letter of recommendation.
- Let them know that the email will have "BUILD & RISE" as the sender (coming from Qualtrics). Additionally, they can look for the subject: BUILD/RISE Recommendation Request. *It may go to their spam/junk email so send them a reminder email once you officially submit your application.
- Submit their contact information early so your recommenders have plenty of time. Keep in mind the application due date (recommendations can come in a few days after the application due date).
- If you have issues or want to check on status, we are happy to help! Reach out to us at BUILD.firstname.lastname@example.org.
We request a written statement so that the review committee can learn more about you, your research interests, and your long-term goals!
The template will have additional information, prompts to address, and tips! Download the Application Statement Template (DOCX) here to help you get started, review writing prompts, tips, and formatting. You will upload this statement as part of the online application.
Expected Graduation Date Form
The Expected Graduation Date Form must be completed with your major advisor if you are a current CSULB student. The form requires your major advisor’s signature (electronic signatures are ok). Plan ahead and schedule a meeting with your major advisor as soon as possible (should be completed prior to the application deadline). Do not complete this form if you are transferring into CSULB in the Fall. Download the Expected Graduation Date Form (DOCX) here and have it ready to upload to your application.
Notice of Informed Consent
You are applying to participate in a research training program (BUILD, MARC, or RISE) that is funded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH). These programs are a part of a national study on undergraduate research training. The purpose of this study is to understand what works (or doesn’t work) for training undergraduate students so that we can develop best practices for undergraduate research training. By completing this application, please know that you are enrolling in this national study and the information you provide on the application may be used for this study. You can read the Notice of Informed Consent here (DOCX). You will be asked to consent to this study in the application form (you will not need to upload this form). The Notice of Informed Consent describes the national study, how your information may be used, potential benefits and risks associated with participating in the study, and your rights as a research participant.
- If you are 18 years old or older, you will submit your authorization within the online application (no additional form to submit).
- If you are 17 years old or younger (as of February 26, 2021), you will need to upload your completed Parental Consent & Student Assent Forms (DOCX).
Unofficial College Transcript(s)
You will be requested to upload a PDF of your unofficial transcript(s) to the application. If you have multiple transcripts, please combine into 1 PDF and upload. Your transcript must show all courses, units, and grades from all post-secondary institutions.
CSULB students can access unofficial transcripts in their MyCSULB account or visit the Student Academic Records page. If you are a former CSULB student, you may access your transcript on the Transcripts: Former Students/Alumni page. You may need to disable the pop-up blocker on your browser to access your records. We have created an Accessing Your CSULB GPA Guide. You will be asked to enter it within the application form.
To help us determine the appropriate entry point into the programs, please provide a list of courses you will have left to complete after entering a program. This can be a Word document with a list of courses per semester that you plan on taking. Keep in mind you must have at least 12 units/semester to be full-time.
- RISE: The following research curriculum courses are required: Scientific Research Communication (RSCH 361) and Advanced Biomedical Research Methods (RSCH 496A).
- BUILD: Additional research curriculum courses are required: one course per year from four categories (Research Communications, Health Disparities, Research Methods, Research-Infused Major Courses). Review the RCC Listing (PDF) for more information.
You can include these research curriculum courses in your Degree Plan.
CSULB students should accomplish this by uploading a copy of their current “Degree Planner,” available from their MyCSULB account. View the CSULB Degree Planner information page for CSULB Degree Planner help.
Non-CSULB students can accomplish this by reviewing their major requirements on the CSULB website. Please choose a link below to get started.
- CNSM Major Requirements (e.g., Biology, Chemistry & Biochemistry, Environmental Science & Policy, Science, Education, etc.)
- CLA Major Requirements (e.g., Psychology, Anthropology, Linguistics, Sociology, etc.)
- CHHS Major Requirements (e.g., Kinesiology, Health Science, Family & Consumer Sciences, Speech-Language Pathology, etc.)
- COE Major Requirements (e.g., Biomedical Engineering, Mechanical, Engineering, Computer Science, Chemical Engineering, etc.)
Once you have the above documents complete you are ready to begin the online application! You must submit your complete online application (including uploading elements listed above) by 11:59pm (PST) on March 3, 2023.
If you have questions about your application, please feel free to contact us at BUILD@csulb.edu.