As part of the Lois J. Swanson Leadership Resource Center (LRC), the mission of the Leadership Academy is to prepare CSULB students to be the world’s best leaders and maximize their leadership potential with a commitment to serve others. The Leadership Academy program is open to all CSULB students. The Leadership Academy is a curriculum of workshops and experiences designed to cultivate leadership excellence. The workshops help students to enhance their leadership competencies as well as develop their leadership potential. A service learning project of a minimum of 10 hours is also required.
The Leadership Academy uses the Social Change Model of Leadership Development as the theoretical framework for the program. Developed through the UCLA Higher Education Research Institute, the Social Model of Leadership Development has two primary goals:
- To enhance student learning and development in the areas of self-knowledge and leadership competence.
- To facilitate positive social change that undertakes actions to support communities to function more effectively and humanely.
- To develop civic minded leaders
- To improve leadership competence and cultivate the potential of future leaders
- To develop practical application and increase understanding of leadership roles
- To connect the academic classroom experience with daily leadership roles and organizational activities.
- To develop the skills needed to have a positive impact on your community
- To better understand how to apply leadership to your life
The first step to enroll into the Leadership Academy program is to complete our online interest form.
Once your online interest form has been received, you will recieve an email with details to complete the online application and orientation process.
Applications are accepted throughout the Fall and Spring Semesters.
To complete or graduate from the Leadership Academy, students must complete the following items:
- Complete the online application and orientation process
- 6 Required Leadership Academy Workshops
- 10 Hours of Community Service pre-approved by the Leadership Academy staff
- Theory to Practice reflection paper
- Note that the Leadership Academy requirements do not overlap with the Emerging Leaders Certificate Program requirements
All workshops can be found at our BeachSync Event page