Scholarships and Funded Support
The following opportunities exist for students in the Physics & Astronomy Department to receive scholarships and other funded support.
Deadlines Just Around the Corner!
- Summer research assistantships have a March 24, 2023 application deadline (extended).
On this page:
Continuing physics students may be eligible for a number of scholarship opportunities. Most of these scholarships are applied to through the BeachScholarships system, the centralized database of all scholarship opportunities at California State University, Long Beach.
The following scholarships are typically available in early spring. Spring 2023 deadline is March 13, 2023. Please see individual scholarships for eligibility criteria. Students may be eligible for more scholarships than are listed here. Please contact the department for any questions about these scholarships.
- Irene Howard and Keung Luke Endowed Scholarship: supports a physics undergraduate or graduate student.
- John E. Fredrickson Endowed Scholarship: supports a physics graduate student.
- Keung Luke, Charles Roberts and Richard Whiteley Endowed Scholarship: supports a physics undergraduate or graduate student.
- Kevin Kwok Chan, HK Alumni, Keung Luke Endowed Scholarship: supports a physics undergraduate or graduate student, with preference given to international students.
- The John and Terry Milligan Scholarship in Physics: supports a physics undergraduate student.
- The Richard and Florence Scalettar Scholarship: supports a physics undergraduate or graduate student.
Additional Scholarships for Science and Math Majors
The College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics maintains a list of additional scholarships that are available to science and math majors.
Financial Aid and Scholarships Office
The Financial Aid and Scholarships Office is the official hub for scholarship information at CSULB. The office collects, organizes, and distributes information on hundreds of external scholarships as well as administers university scholarships for the campus. Explore CSULB Scholarships.
Summer Research Assistantships
Summer Research Assistantships are awarded to students seeking opportunities to pursue paid mentored research opportunities with faculty in the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics.
- Demonstrated merit and strong potential to carry out research in one of the following departments:
- Biological Sciences
- Chemistry & Biochemistry
- Physics & Astronomy
- Continuing graduate or undergraduate student with planned enrollment for Fall 2023 semester
- Research plan approved and signed by faculty research mentor
Deadline to Apply: Friday, March 24, 2023 by 11:59pm (extended).
Apply Now to Summer Research Assistantships
Note: summer research assistantships are paid employment and subject to state and federal taxes. Opportunities for employment are competitive and will be awarded following committee review.
The application includes the following assistantships in the Physics & Astronomy Department:
- Margaret Heeb Summer Research Assistantship in honor of Wilma Jordan
- Google Summer Research Assistantship
- Department of Physics & Astronomy Summer Research Assistantship
- Gisela and Wilfried Eckhardt Summer Research Assistantships
- Keung Kai Luke Undergraduate Summer Research Assistantships
- Keung Kai Luke Graduate Summer Research Assistantships
The Graduate Center maintains a list of on-campus funding opportunities. Most of the opportunities are aimed at graduate students, but a few are also available to undergraduate students.