Purpose: To comply with all applicable federal, state and local regulations and California State and Campus policies involving the procurement of hazardous materials as defined in this Policy.
Definition: Defined by EPA, DOT and OSHA as any substance or chemical which is a "health hazard" or "physical hazard," including: chemicals which are carcinogens, toxic agents, irritants, corrosives, sensitizers; agents which act on the hematopoietic system; agents which damage the lungs, skin, eyes, or mucous membranes; chemicals which are combustible, explosive, flammable, oxidizers, pyrophorics, unstable-reactive or water-reactive; and chemicals which in the course of normal handling, use, or storage may produce or release dusts, gases, fumes, vapors, mists or smoke which may have any of the previously mentioned characteristics.
Yes, if greater than $9,999 or if a signed document (contract, agreement, other) is required and if the purchase will be from a foreign supplier, please submit the Foreign Purchase requirements with the requisition.. See all purchases requiring a binding agreement or insurance transaction type. If $9,999 or less, see Payments and Approvals section for options.
If a requisition is required, the minimum time for generating a dispatched Purchase Order (PO):
A minimum of 10 working days after Purchasing receives all completed documentation.
Administrative Guidelines Related to this Purchase?
Key Purchasing Requirements and Quote/Bid Thresholds?
Regardless of the payment method, the purchase of hazardous materials shall comply with all applicable federal, state, local regulations, and California State University and Campus policies and procedures.
- Campus and Foundations thresholds
- All Goods and Services purchases between $50,000 - $100,000 require a minimum of 3 competitive quotes. If obtaining quotes from small or disabled veteran businesses, then only 2 quotes are required from the same classification (for example, 2 small business quotes).
- Anything under $50,000 is at the discretion of the Purchasing Department as to whether additional quotes are required.
- Purchases over $100,000 require a Request Formal Proposal (RFP). If obtaining quotes from small or disabled veteran businesses, then only 2 quotes are required from the same classification (for example, 2 small business quotes).
- Foundation “G” (Grants) Funds - All Goods and Services purchases anything under $50,000 is at the discretion of the Purchasing Department as to whether additional quotes are required. Anything between $50,000 - $100,000 require 3 informal quotes. Purchases over $100,000 require a Request Formal Proposal (RFP).
Additional Forms or Requirements?
Refer to your Division/College/Department for additional policies and procedures.
By accepting a contract with the CSU, Contractors must certify they are neither nor its principals or its subcontractors are presently debarred, suspended, proposed for debarment, declared ineligible or voluntarily excluded from participation in transactions by any federal department or agency (2 Code Federal Regulations[CFR] 180.220, in accordance with the Office of Management and Budget guidelines at 2 CFR 180 that implement Executive Orders 12549 (3 CFR Part 1986 Comp., p. 189) and 12689 (3 CFR Part 1989 Comp., p. 235).
For contracts using both, CSU and federally awarded funds, a debarment check must be completed prior to issuing any procurement contracts of goods or services that are $25,000.00 or greater.
Payments and Approvals
- Permitted Payment Options: Subject to the above requirements.
- PO – Allowed
- ProCard – Allowed
- One Card – Allowed
- Direct Pay – Allowed
- Employee Reimbursement – Not Allowed
- Documents required:
- Supplier Invoice
- Additional required documents listed under the Additional Forms or Requirements section above.
- Delegated approval (DOA) using one of the following options
- Purchase Order (PO)
- Dispatched PO & receipt of goods through Shipping & Receiving (no action required by requesting department)
- Authorized stamp on invoice referencing PO# and Acknowledgement of Service
- Electronic approval (via email) sent directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Purchase Order (PO)
- Contingent Documents
- Payment Notes:
- All checks will be mailed by the Accounts Payable department
Invoices received by Accounts Payable, prior to payment, are routed to the requester or approver to verify receipt of service or items. Reference the Invoice Approval Process for more information.
Departments are responsible for ordering all chemicals and/or hazardous material for use by the department. In addition, the user department is responsible for ensuring the safety and storage of the material and for all usage and tests to be conducted with the material. For additional details on EH&S’s policy, please contact the Director of Environmental Health and Safety.
Common GL Account(s) to Use