Prospective applicants must comply with University requirements for admission to graduate studies as outlined in the university catalog. Students must concurrently submit applications to the University Admissions and Records Office and the Graduate Program in the Department of Family and Consumer Sciences. Admission to the Master of Science in Nutritional Science is dependent upon the recommendation by the Graduate Coordinator and the College of Health and Human Services Associate Dean.
Minimum Requirements for the M.S. in Nutritional Science with a Dietetic Internship Specialization
Completion of an ACEND accredited Didactic Program in Dietetics with an original ‘Verification Statement’ or ‘Intent to Complete’ (if applying during a senior year of college) from the Didactic Program Director.
- GPA: 3.0 overall on a 4.0 scale and 3.0 for the last 60 units
- GRE: Effective November 2020 until further notice, the GREM.S. program website for alternate writing documents. will not be a required document but an optional writing document. If the GRE is submitted as the writing document, then an analytical writing score of 4 or greater is required. Please see the
- A passing score on the test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) if the applicant's native language is not English and preparatory education was principally in a language other than English.
Additional Admission Criteria for Students Choosing the Dietetic Internship Specialization
- Completion of the Dietetic Internship Centralized Application System (DICAS) application. For questions, email DICAS Info.
- Completion of registration and internship program ranking on D&D Digital Online Dietetics Internship Matching Service for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. For questions, email D&D or call 515.292.0490.
- Application by February 15th to CSULB online via Cal State Apply with submission of official GRE scores and official copy of all college transcripts to the University.
- Submission by February 15th to the Graduate Coordinator, Dr. Virginia Gray, RD. See the MS Program in Nutritional Science website.
- Submission of the following application materials to the IPND Director, Dr. Gail Frank, RD, CHES, by February 15th which includes:
- Phone or Zoom Interview with IPND Director and Review Committee.
Note: Please see “Deadlines” for more details.
- GPA: 3.0 overall and for last 60 units.
- GRE: Effective November 2020 until further notice, the GREM.S. program website for an alternate writing document. . Please see the
- Course Completion: "Verification Statement" or "Intent to Complete" from the Didactic Program in Dietetics.
- Applications: DICAS and the 2 different application steps at CSULB, which are, 1) the University, 2) the M.S. program, and 3) the IPND.