Freshmen may receive academic credit based on the results of external test exams and should have their official test scores sent directly to CSULB. Additionally, freshmen can also earn transfer credit while still in high school. Details regarding these academic credits can be found below.
If you are a transfer student coming to CSULB and want to know more about transferring credits, please refer to the Transfer Student section of our website for more information.
Advanced Placement (AP) Exams
Students who have completed College Board Advanced Placement (AP) examinations with a score of 3 or higher and submit an official College Grade Report directly from the College Board will receive up to 6 units of college credit for each examination. Credit is awarded based on when the exam was taken. If your exams were taken in prior years, please review the University Catalog from the specific year to see how credit will be awarded.
Advanced Placement results are only accepted directly from AP - College Board. Please visit their web site for information regarding how to request your scores.
Once scores are received, credit will be granted automatically for students that have been admitted and the results can be seen once you are active as a CSULB student through your MyCSULB Student Center.
Note: A maximum of 6 units will be granted for each exam. If the number of units per course equivalency is less than the class at CSULB, the remaining units will be waived. Credit can only be awarded once per course. Example: if a student takes Calculus AB & BC, only 10 units can be awarded.
If a student passes more than one AP exam in physics, only six units of credit may be applied to the baccalaureate, and only four units of credit may be applied to a certification in GE Breadth.
Visit the webpage below for a complete list of AP examination credit.
International Baccalaureate Examinations Credit
Students who have completed International Baccalaureate Higher Level examinations with a score of 4 or higher and submit an official International Baccalaureate Transcript of Grades will receive up to 12 units of college credit for each examination. See the table below for a complete list of IB examination credit. Credit is awarded based on when the exam was taken. If your exams were taken in prior years, please review the University Catalog from the specific year to see how credit will be awarded.
Examination results are only accepted directly from International Baccalaureate. Please visit their web site for information regarding how to request your scores. Once scores are received, credit will be granted automatically for students that have been admitted and the results can be seen once you are active as a CSULB student through your MyCSULB Student Center.
Note: A minimum IB score of 5 is required for credit unless otherwise noted.
Visit the webpage below for a complete list of International Baccalaureate Higher Level Examinations Credit:
Transfer Credit – College Courses Taken While in High School
- College credit can be earned for baccalaureate level courses taken from a regionally accredited institution during high school.
- If the college has deemed the credit applicable to high school ONLY (notated on the official transcript) no credit will be awarded.
- For courses taken at a CA Community College or a CSU please refer to ASSIST for information on how they may apply.
- ASSIST is an online student-transfer information system that shows how course credits earned at one public California college or university can be applied when transferred to another. ASSIST is the official repository of articulation for California's public colleges and universities and provides the most accurate and up-to-date information about student transfer in California.
- You must submit an official transcript from the college in order to receive credit.
- Transcripts can be ordered directly from the college in which you took the course and be sent directly to CSULB.
- Official transcripts must be sent in a sealed envelope to the address below.
CSU Long Beach
1250 Bellflower Blvd.
Long Beach, CA 90840-0601