Fall 2023 Transfer Major-Specific Degree Requirements - College of Education (CED)
These criteria will be used for Fall 2023 and Spring 2024 transfer admission consideration only.
Admission criteria are subject to change for future admission cycles. See ASSIST to determine the courses offered at California institutions which will satisfy the specific course requirements.
Admission to all majors at CSULB is competitive because CSULB continues to have more qualified applicants than available new student spaces. All transfer students must declare a major when submitting their application. Review Transfer Application and Admissions eligibility for details. To review the detailed major-specific degree requirements select the major below. If a major is highly impacted, it will be noted next to the name of the major and additional supplemental criteria and requirements are indicated in the major-specific details.
- Except for highly impacted majors, CSU eligible applicants who are considered local based on their high school of graduation or their military veteran status will be offered admission if they meet the major-specific minimum cumulative GPA and required lower-division preparation.
- For local applicants who apply to a highly impacted major, their cumulative grade point average (GPA) will be increased by 0.1 during the admissions process. This calculated GPA will be applied to the competitive ranking and departmental review for admissibility to a highly impacted program.
- Other CSU-eligible applicants who have met the major-specific minimum cumulative GPA and the minimum required lower-division preparation will be admitted on a space available basis based on their cumulative GPA and the additional preparation courses completed if specified in the criteria.
- If space is available after all students meeting the minimum major GPA and preparation have been accommodated, then CSU-eligible students without the minimum major preparation may be considered.
- Students admitted to the major who have not completed the additional recommended transfer requirements or the additional CSULB requirements must complete them during their first year at CSULB.
For spring term admission, coursework and unit minimums must be completed no later than the prior summer term.
The Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) curriculum is used in lieu of the major-specific degree requirements. We strongly encourage students to complete both the recommended and required courses because CSULB remains highly competitive in our admissions process. Under current CSU guidelines, the cumulative GPA will be increased by 0.1 and this calculated GPA will be applied in the ranking of applicants. Please refer to Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) for a complete list of requirements and additional information on how the ADT will be used in the competitive ranking process.
Requirements by Major
To be considered for admission to the major, applicants must demonstrate the following:
- Minimum GPA: 2.6
- Minimum lower division preparation (Grade C or better required)
|Major Preparation Courses
|Early United States History
|Complete one of the following courses:
|Appreciation of Literature
|Survey of English Literature
|Survey of American Literature
|American Ethnic Writers
|Introduction to World Literature
Required General Education courses not covered by major preparation courses:
- Written Communication
- Oral Communication
- Critical Thinking
- Mathematics (MTED recommended)
Explore the Liberal Studies Department for this major.