Zipcar is the world's largest car sharing network. Four Zipcars* are available on the CSULB. These cars offer temporary vehicle use as an alternative to traditional car rental or ownership. All students, faculty and staff, 18 years or older, with a valid driver’s license (international OK) are eligible to rent from Zipcar.
*COVID-19 Note: Zipcar usually has four cars on CSULB campus, two in Lot G6 and two in Lot E2. Due to COVID-19, these vehicles have temporarily been removed from campus. Please visit Zipcar to find the nearest Zipcar to your location.
Zipcar members pay a monthly or annual membership fee in addition to a reservation/usage charges. Members can reserve Zipcars with the mobile app, online or with your mobile device at any time up to a year in advance. Zipcars can be reserved by the hour or by the day.
Members have automated access to Zipcars using an access card, which works in conjunction with the car's technology to unlock the door. The keys will be located inside. Zipcar also offers an iPhone or Android application that allows members to honk the horn to locate a Zipcar and unlock the doors. Zipcar charges a one-time application fee, an annual fee, and a reservation charge. Fuel, parking, insurance, and car maintenance are included in the membership price.
Zipcar currently has four cars at various locations on CSULB’s campus, two in Lot G6 and two in Lot E2.
How to use Zipcar?
- Step 1: Apply for a Zipcar membership
- Step 2: Reserve a Zipcar for an hour, an afternoon or the whole day. Do it online or on your phone via the Zipcar mobile app.
- Step 3: Walk to your chosen Zipcar car and hold your Zipcard against the windshield. The doors will unlock and the keys will be inside.
- Step 4: When your time is almost up, return your Zipcar to its original parking spot. Be sure to follow all instructions provided on the Zipcar website.
What is included?
- Miles (up to 180 miles/day)
- Your own Zipcard
- The mobile app (free download for iOS and Android)
Zipcar is a private, independent company and not affiliated with the CSU or providing services in partnership with CSULB. Please visit the Zipcar website for full rental terms and conditions, services provided, and additional eligibility restrictions.