ECO DRIVING: Tips for saving money & reducing your carbon footprint
According to the California Air Resources Board 41% of GHG emissions in California are related to transportation. Because of this, and the university’s interest in promoting sustainable practices, we hope that those of you who own vehicles will considering the following strategies for reducing fuel waste. By driving smarter you will save money and reduce your carbon footprint.
- Avoid hard acceleration and braking as it can waste fuel and lower your mileage by 33% on the highway and 5% around town.
- Stick to the speed limit as for every 5 miles per hour you drive over 60 miles per hour, fuel economy is lowered by 7%.
- Reduce time spent idling.
- Use overdrive and cruise control when possible.
- Have your vehicle tuned up, tires inflated, and oil and air filter cleaned out regularly as having a properly maintained vehicle can improve your gas mileage and fuel economy by 4%.
Source: The Department of Energy (DOE)