Master of Arts in Dance
MASTER of ARTS DEGREE AT CSULB DANCE
APPLICATION & AUDITION DATES
On October 1, 2024, CSULB Dance will be accepting applications and supplemental admissions material for a new cohort to start in the summer of 2025. Please click on the link below for details about the program.
Please scroll to the bottom of this page to find a link to information about admissions and the application process.
MA Degree Description and Philosophy
CSULB Dance houses the only low-residency Master of Arts in Dance degree in California that is designed specifically to serve dance educators.
The M.A. in Dance is a 31-unit practice-oriented degree created to serve dance educators working primarily in secondary and community college settings. The M.A. functions as a form of continuing education and professional development for credentialed teachers. Because M.A. candidates are employed during the academic year, this low-residency program is designed to be completed during summer sessions and via distance learning experiences. For additional information, please /dance/academics/degrees/master-of-arts-dance and https://www.cpie.csulb.edu/courses/degree-programs/master-of-arts-in-dance
This degree elevates an undergraduate teaching credential to graduate status, usually commanding a pay increase for dance educators. Cohort sizes range between 13 and 20 students.
The M.A. in Dance is run as a Special Sessions Program through the University's College of Continuing and Professional Education. The M.A. program of study consists of three intensive summer sessions of 9-12 units of coursework and the successful completion of comprehensive exams taken during and immediately following the third summer. The M.A. in Dance offers both studio and theory courses; it is designed to broaden and deepen dance knowledge and skills, including hands-on experience in dance concert production. All courses are designed to introduce new concepts and trigger deeper thought and analysis in the field of dance. All courses in the M.A. degree are at the graduate level and are offered only to graduate students.
Criteria for Admission into the Program
Candidates must meet the following criteria for entrance into the M.A. in Dance:
- Baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution with a degree in dance or a related field with a GPA of 2.5 or above;
- Required Prerequisite Courses:
- two courses in dance composition;
- one course in dance history;
- one course in anatomy/kinesiology (must be taken in the past five years);
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience teaching dance in a high school with a secondary teaching credential, or minimum of 3 years part-time or full-time experience teaching dance in a community college (exceptions will be considered for extensive part-time employment teaching dance in a high school, or for an exemplary employment history of teaching dance in other venues);
- Audition and Interview in January 2025.
Submit application and Supporting Documents by December 1, 2024.
Admission will be granted to students who show high promise of success in graduate study based on past academic record and record of teaching experience.
For up-to-date information, visit the CSULB Catalog.
For more information please contact the Department of Dance email@example.com