Bachelor of Fine Arts in Dance
The Bachelor of Fine Arts in Dance is designed to prepare students for professional careers as performers and/or choreographers. Students wishing to pursue the BFA in Dance must demonstrate strong technical ability and must audition for the BFA program after successfully completing the following course work with a minimum GPA of 3.0
- DANC 100/300
- DANC 120
- DANC 161
- DANC 182
- 1 unit from DANC 181 or DANC 381
- 10 units of technique/movement practices from at least 3 different forms of dance
Students enrolled in required courses at the time of the audition, may audition with a signed Grade In Progress form from the instructor(s) of the in-progress courses. Students may not apply after they have completed 90 Timely Graduation Units.
For up to date degree requrments, visit the CSULB Catalog.
- Majors will demonstrate proficient skills and technique in modern dance and ballet, with competency in jazz dance and hip hop, enabling them to pursue professional dance careers.
- Majors will demonstrate competencies in choreographic processes that support the development of creative and collaborative professional opportunities.
- Majors will describe the socio-cultural, historical, and scientific dimensions of dance, to give depth and perspective to the performance and pedagogical aspects of the dance discipline.
- Majors will develop and demonstrate current methods and relevant strategies necessary to pursue professional careers in dance and dance-related fields.
- Majors will demonstrate the skills necessary to analyze and review dance history, concepts, and aesthetic qualities, both orally and in writing.
- Majors will demonstrate skills in the production and technological aspects of dance.