Courses Taught at CSULB
- SCED 401: A Process Approach to Science
- SCED 550: Current Issues & Research in Science Education
- SCED 560: Introduction to Science Education Research
- SCED 404: The Nature of Science and Scientific Reasoning
- EDSS 450C: Methods in the Teaching of Secondary Science
- SCED 403: Integrated Science
- NSCI 490: Science Teaching for Teaching Assistants
- Colburn, A. (2017). Learning Science by Doing Science: 10 Classic Investigations Reimagined to Teach Kids How Science Really Works, Grades 3-8. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press (a joint publication with the National Science Teachers Association).
- The Prepared Practitioner was published monthly by The Science Teacher from 2007-2010
- Colburn, A. (2003) The Lingo of Learning: 88 education terms every science teacher should know. Arlington, VA: NSTA Press.
- Colburn, A & Henriques, L. (2006). Clergy views on evolution, creationism, science, and religion. Journal of Research in Science Teaching 43, 4, 419-442.
- Colburn, A. (2004, Sept.). Inquiring scientists want to know. Educational Leadership 62, 1, 63-67.
- Colburn, A. (2000). A primer on inquiry. Science Scope 23, 6, 42-44.
- Colburn, A. (1997, fall). How to modify laboratory activities. CSTA Journal 4-6.
- Ph.D., Science Education, University of Iowa, 1991
- M.S., Education, University of Pennsylvania, 1986
- M.S., Biological Sciences, University of Illinois, 1984
- B.S., Biological Sciences, Carnegie-Mellon University, 1983
- Professor, Science Education Department, CSULB, 1995-present
- Visiting Assistant Professor, University of Iowa, 1991-1995
- I also taught high school Chemistry, AP Chemistry, and Physical Science, as well as working in a research laboratory at the Wistar Institute in Philadelphia, PA.