Any questions or help needed regarding CSULB IACUC? Please send an email to IACUC@csulb.edu, or call IACUC staff at 562.985.5314
California State University, Long Beach accepts the principles governing the use of live animals expressed in the regulations of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, U.S. Public Health Service, Office of Laboratory Animal Welfare (OLAW) and the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS), as well as all California regulations and statutes governing these matters. All covered live animals kept on campus for research and instructional observation are subject to the review and approval of the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC).
Jason Wang, Ph.D., CPIA
Director, Research Integrity & Compliance
New, Free, Online Program Offered by the ICARE Project
The ICARE (Interagency Collaborative Animal Research Education) Project invites you to join the CARE Dialogues: Optimizing Animal Care and Use Program Success in a Changing Environment (ICARE Dialogues).
ICARE Dialogues will be offered at no charge. Each session of the three-part pilot will address specific topics, as described below. Participants may register for one, two, or all three 2-hour sessions. Although free, attendance is required of registered participants (see the registration page for details). The program format is dialogue between and among participants and ICARE faculty, including federal partners. The program will provide institutional animal care and use program personnel the opportunity to discuss:
Time: 1 – 3 PM Eastern (12 – 2 PM Central; 11 AM – 1 PM Mountain; 10 AM – 12 PM Pacific)
ICARE Dialogues Topics
Tuesday, August 4, 2020
Wednesday, August 12, 2020
Thursday, August 20, 2020
Registration: IACUC members and institutional personnel involved in animal care and use programs (veterinarians, compliance, PAM, trainers, investigators, administrators) may register to participate in ICARE Dialogues here. Registration is free and limited to 25 participants per session. If more than 25 people register, ICARE will maintain a waitlist. More session(s) will be offered if demand is sufficient.
The animal care and use community is encouraged to submit questions, challenges, solutions, and ideas to ICARE.SERO@gmail.com to influence the topics addressed in ICARE Dialogues. If warranted by community interest, repeat of the initial topics and/or presentation of additional topics will be offered.
The ICARE Project is an interagency initiative of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), National Science Foundation (NSF), U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), and the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA).
Reporting Perceived Deficiencies in Animal Care and Treatment
Any deficiencies in animal care and treatment at CSULB can be reported (anonymously, if desired) to any of the following individuals:
- Natalie Hummel
- Research Facilities Coordinator (562) 985-5483, Natalie.Hummel@csulb.edu
- John Young VMD, MS
- Attending Veterinarian (310) 418-1428, John.Young@csulb.edu
- Jason Wang, Ph.D.
- Director for Research Integrity & Compliance (562) 985-2502, ORED-Compliance@csulb.edu
- Bryan Rourke, Ph.D.
- IACUC Chair (562) 985-5594, Bryan.Rourke@csulb.edu
Protocol Applications: Preparation & Prerequisites
- Protocol Categories (Decision Tree - Which Application Form do I use?)
- TRAINING (see section on Lab Animal Welfare Courses)
Protocol Forms and Procedures
- Animal Use Protocol Application Form (PDF) (Standard Protocol)
- Animal Observation Form (PDF) (Observation/Classroom Protocol)
- Application for Exempt Use of Animals During Field Studies (PDF) (Field Exempt Protocol)
- Request for Modification of an Approved Protocol Form (PDF)
- Annual Report Form (PDF)
- Animal Transfer Request Form (PDF)
- Animal Purchase Request Form (PDF)
- Quarterly In-House Breeding Log (XLSX)
- Animal Adoption Form (PDF)
- Request for Training Form (PDF)