Vision, Mission, & Goals
Our vision is for the Faculty Center to be a beacon of excellence in promoting and embracing equitable and inclusive practices in pedagogy, scholarship, and service, and in building a community of faculty, staff, and students at CSULB.
Our Mission and Goals
The mission of the Faculty Center, as an integral component of Faculty Affairs, is to create a welcoming environment for faculty members to seek both support and community. The primary goals of the Center include:
- Acquainting faculty members with the diverse needs of students in terms of abilities, experiences, and ethnic, cultural, and socio-economic backgrounds, and empowering the faculty by providing them with the necessary tools to work with students in and out of the classroom thereby enhancing student success.
- Cultivating a culture of classroom innovation that will equip faculty members with pedagogical tools and strategies that foster an inclusive and engaging classroom climate; expand access to learning for students of different backgrounds, experiences, affiliations, and abilities; and develop students’ critical thinking skills.
- Nurturing a culture of inclusive dialogue that will foster successful and effective mentoring relationships among faculty and students of diverse backgrounds.
- Acquainting faculty with resources and programs designed to support them in developing and sustaining their research, scholarly and creative activities.
- Fostering a culture of service and civic responsibility among faculty.
- Assisting faculty with career planning and retention, tenure, and promotion.
- Celebrating diversity among faculty (staff and students) with the goal of recruiting and retaining faculty who embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Catering to the needs of all faculty (Lecturer, Tenure-Track, and Tenured Faculty) at all stages of their professional careers.
- Promoting a campus culture of belonging among CSULB faculty, staff, and students.
- Creating a collegial environment of shared purpose and mutual support, and promoting a culture of campus collaboration in teaching, scholarship, and service.
- Creating a safe space for various faculty constituents and providing a welcoming environment for faculty to seek both support and community.