Your on-campus resource for professional needs is the Faculty Center. The primary mission is to support and promote faculty in their roles as teachers, researchers, scholars, and as members of CSULB. Our office works to enhance faculty success at any career stage through workshops, consultations and resources.
Our services, resources, and events are available to all university instructors, including full- and part-time faculty and graduate teaching assistants.
We seek to promote:
- excellence in teaching and learning
- successful research and creative endeavors
- professional fulfillment
- partnerships with other academic institutions and the regional, national and international community.
Information and Support
The Faculty Center here at CSULB provides a wealth of general information and support for lecturers on our campus. Your home department will handle hiring and specific processes that are necessary for your work. Be sure to contact your Department Chair or Program Coordinator for those resources.
- New CSULB faculty should visit the Semester Start-Up Guide for New Faculty. This page will help you get set up at the Beach (parking, ID cards, email and web access & much more).
- Provides Workshops & Programs designed to organize and support events and workshops on teaching, technology, evaluation and research
- Provides individual consultations with lecturers that are confidential and informative
- Assists lecturers in developing course materials and professional portfolios
Current Workshops & Events Calendar
Lecturers are encouraged to come to our scheduled workshops on a variety of subjects, ranging from new technologies to building skills in classroom instruction. All events through the Faculty Center are free to participants.
The Faculty Center is located in the CSULB Library.
We encourage all faculty members to consider the Faculty Center as a haven and safe place at the university, where discussions are held in confidence. We welcome drop-ins, appointments, phone calls, and emails.
- Location: Library, Room 301
- Phone: (562) 985-5212
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Lecturer Evaluation Process link includes an instructional memo, required forms and resources to help you build a comprehensive evaluation file. Deadlines for evaluation are determined by the college. Please consult your department chair for more information.
Documenting and Improving Your Teaching
All CSULB faculty are required to provide evidence of teaching effectiveness. Demonstrating teaching effectiveness should include, but is not limited to, the following:
- Teaching material that complies with university policies and department-specified requirements such as the standard course outline (SCO)
- Class assignments and activities that align with intended student learning outcomes and reflect high impact practices for the course level and content
- Assessment of student learning linked to required course learning outcomes, signature assignments, and/or culminating experiences
- Student evaluations/perceptions of teaching through the SPOT Form
- Narrative explanations of the development of course designs/redesigns, assignments, & assessments