Become A SOAR Leader
What is a SOAR Leader?
SOAR Leaders are current students – either an undergraduate or graduate student – who assist new students in their transition to life at Long Beach State. SOAR Leaders guide new students through interactive workshops that introduce our campus community, highlight campus resources, inform of University policies, and offer opportunities to create connections with other new students.
Recruitment for 2023-24 SOAR Leaders has begun! Your first step to learning about this unique student-leader position is attending a SOAR Leader Information Session, which details expectations, requirements, deadlines and the full application/interview process. Sign up for an upcoming SOAR Leader Information Session (link available October 24), which take place between Friday, October 28, and Friday, February 10.
Successful applicants are committed to…
- Supporting newly admitted students as they begin their transition to the university
- Serving as a positive role model for first-semester students
- Upholding the mission and goals of the University, Division of Student Affairs, and New Student & Family Program
- Championing the university’s commitment to Inclusive Excellence along with diversity, equity and inclusion
Students hired to serve as a SOAR Leader are required to fulfill the following responsibilities:
- Lead interactive workshops that both engages and informs first-semester students
- Introduce University history and traditions, campus safety, as well as present important campus resources and University policies
- Facilitate the Orientation to Campus Life & Resources (OCLR) component that explores student support services; Diversity, Equity & Inclusion; health & wellness; Title IX requirements; and opportunities for involvement with campus organizations & clubs
- Complete Campus Security Authority and Mandated Reporter training
- Staff Lifeguard Stations
- Staff the First-Year Beach Connections program
- Complete other duties as assigned by New Student & Family Programs staff
- The SOAR Leader position requires a one-year commitment (exceptions are considered for graduating students) that typically begins in the spring semester and concludes the following spring semester.
- SOAR Leaders must be available for full-time employment during the summer and winter breaks (approximately 40 hours/week). This period of time is devoted to training SOAR Leaders (May/June and January) and hosting orientation workshops (June to August and January).
- SOAR Leaders must be available for part-time employment during the fall and spring semesters (not to exceed 20 hours/week). This period of time is dedicated to supporting student success programs like First-Year Beach Connections along with student-centered events such as Lifeguard Stations, Week of Welcome, Parent & Family Orientation, NSFP Pop-Ups, Student Resource Fair, Mentorship Fair, Spring Break Kick-Off, etc.
Compensation for first-time SOAR Leaders is minimum wage.
All applicants must meet the qualifications & requirements listed below in order to be offered a SOAR Leader position.
- Minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA (undergrads) or 3.25 cumulative GPA (graduate)
- Must be a current Long Beach State undergraduate or graduate student
- Must be in good academic and disciplinary standing at Long Beach State
- Must be flexible, adaptable, enthusiastic and motivated
- Must be able to work with a culturally diverse campus community
- Must display effective communication and interpersonal skills
Your first step to learning about this unique student-leader position is attending a SOAR Leader Information Session, which details expectations, requirements, deadlines and the full application/interview process. Visit the SOAR Leader Information Session (link to Info Sessions will be available October 25) survey to view all upcoming session dates, and then reserve your specific Info Session date and time.
We know students who are interested in this position may have lots of additional questions about becoming a SOAR Leader. Find the answers to most of your questions and more in the SOAR Leader FAQs webpage.
Picture and bios will be posted in May 2023.