Southern California ARML
The American Regions Mathematics League (ARML) annual competition brings together the nation's finest students. They meet, compete against, and socialize with one another, forming friendships and sharpening their mathematical skills. Since its inception in 1976, ARML has snowballed, burgeoned, and mushroomed into a national program, involving thousands of students from almost all states and many foreign countries.
The contest is written for high school students, although some exceptional middle school students attend each year. The competition takes place at several locations nationwide. The SoCal ARML team goes to Reno, Nevada, to compete. The event is held the first Friday and Saturday after the Memorial Day weekend.
See also: ARML Official Site
About SoCal ARML Team
Southern California ARML is a non-incorporated youth education organization that provides training to mathematically gifted youth in order to prepare them for the national ARML competition. More generally, we strive to create a stimulating environment for learning mathematical concepts, and to provide an opportunity to students to build their professional networks.
The Southern California ARML Team represents the Southern California Region defined by the ARML national organization, including California students in Los Angeles County, Orange County, Ventura County, Santa Barbara County, Riverside County, San Bernardino County, and everywhere outside the Bay Area and San Diego area. Activities not directly related to the ARML contests should not use the name of the SoCal ARML Team.
Meet the Coaches
- Dr. Kevin Wang, Head Coach
Academic Director at Areteem Institute in Irvine
- Dr. Olga Korosteleva, Coach
Professor of Statistics at CSU Long Beach
- Mr. Charles Beilin, Coach
Mathematics Teacher at Beckman High School in Irvine
- Ms. Kelly Ren, Parent Liaison and Administrator
Practice Schedule for 2023-2024
All practices will be held in person with no online option available. The practices will be always held on Saturdays, 1:00pm to 4:00pm, unless otherwise stated.
- October 14, 2023 at Areteem Institute (12:00pm-4:00pm)
- October 28, 2023 at Areteem Institute: ARML Power Contest Round 1
- November 18, 2023 at Areteem Institute
- December 16, 2023 at Areteem Institute
- January 13, 2024 at CSU Long Beach campus
- January 27, 2024 at CSU Long Beach campus
- February 17, 2024 at Areteem Institute: ARML Power Contest Round 2
- March 16, 2024 at Areteem Institute
- April 20, 2024 at Areteem Institute: ARML Local
- May 18, 2024 at Areteem Institute
- May 25, 2024 at Areteem Institute
23832 Rockfield Blvd., Suite 155
Lake Forest, CA 92630
CSU Long Beach (CSULB)
Building LA5, Room 345 (view LA5 on map)
1250 Bellflower Blvd.
Long Beach, CA 90840
How to Join
To join Southern California ARML, please email Dr. Olga Korosteleva (Olga.Korosteleva@csulb.edu) with the following information:
- your name
- your school
- your grade level
- student's email address
- parent's/guardian's email address
Membership in the organization is free. Families are expected to volunteer for snack donations for practice sessions.
The cost for the trip to Reno, NV for the ARML regional competition is around $600, which includes the round-trip airfare, one-night stay in the dorm, and a meal plan.