Current Graduate Student Procedures

Student Checklist for Completion of MS Degree in Nutritional Science

Graduate students must maintain continuous enrollment in both fall and spring semester to maintain graduate status.  This can be done through 1) registering for a class; 2) taking an educational leave; or 3) registering for GS 700 when finished with 3 units of 692 or 698.  Students must be registered in the semester in which they graduate.

After NUTR 696 (Research Methods) but prior to enrolling in NUTR 697, students must be ADVANCED TO CANDIDACY.

  • Completion of nine (9) graduate level units including NUTR 696.
  • A cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0.
  • Completion of Program of Study Form with FCS Graduate Coordinator.

  • After being advanced to candidacy, complete the Petition to Enroll in NUTR 697 form and submit it to the FCS Graduate Coordinator.
  • Work with thesis/ directed project chair on completing proposal (Chapter 1 – 3).
  • Obtain approval for proposal from all committee members by collecting committee signatures on the Thesis/Directed Project Proposal Approval form.
  • Turn in signed Thesis/Directed Project Proposal Approval form to the FCS Graduate Coordinator.

Upon enrollment in NUTR 697, the Graduate Coordinator will supply a course syllabus, which outlines course expectations and grading criteria. If NUTR 697 is not completed with a letter grade in the semester in which the student is registered, the student will continue to work to complete NUTR 697.  A letter grade must be assigned for NUTR 697 before the student can register for NUTR 692 or 698.  

  • Consult the Institutional Review Board (IRB) website to determine if thesis or directed project requires IRB approval.
  • Turn submission packet into IRB.
  • Obtain approval from IRB.
  • A copy of the IRB letter of approval should be included in the appendices of the thesis/ directed project, if applicable.

After receiving a grade for NUTR 697, students are eligible to enroll in NUTR 692 or 698. Request a permit from the FCS Graduate Coordinator for enrollment.
Work with the thesis/ directed project chair to conduct research and complete chapters four and five (results and discussion).
Submit draft to thesis/ directed project chair. After thesis/ directed project chair has approved a draft, committee members will review and make comments.
Integrate feedback from committee members, provide a revised copy, and schedule oral defense of thesis/ directed project with committee members.
At the time of your thesis/ directed project defense, obtain approval signatures from all committee members on the Thesis/Directed Project Final Approval form; submit this form to the FCS Graduate Coordinator.
Initiate submission to the CSULB Library Thesis and Dissertation Office. An electronic signature form will be circulated to your committee members and the FCS Department Chair for approval.

Upon enrollment in NUTR 697, the Graduate Coordinator will supply a course syllabus, which outlines course expectations and grading criteria. RP grades in NUTR 692 or 698 are changed to a letter grade after the thesis/directed project is cleared by the CSULB Thesis and Disertation Office. 

Visit the CSULB Thesis and Disertation Office (TDO) website or call 562.985.4013 to check the submission deadlines for each semester.
NOTE: The submission deadlines vary each semester. If you would like a pre-consultation with CSULB Thesis and Disertation Office, please visit the website.
Signatures of approval for the Thesis/ Directed Project Signature page (as mentioned above) are handled electronically by the CSULB TDO. Visit the CSULB TDO's electronic signature page site.
Then, submit your Thesis or Directed Project to the CSULB Thesis and Disertation Office electronically.
Make changes according to the feedback from the CSULB Thesis and Disertation Office until the manuscript is approved. An approval letter will be sent to you, your thesis/ directed project chair, and Graduate Coordinator.
Apply for copyright if desired at the Campus Copy Center 562.985.5050.

Visit the Apply to Graduate (Graduate Students) website to file for graduation.

If you want to graduate spring or summer, file your request to graduate between March 15 and October 15. If you want to graduate fall or winter, file your request to graduate between November 1 and March 1. Late fees apply for missed deadlines. Students must be enrolled in the semester they plan to graduate. Students can enroll in GS 700 if needed.

Graduating graduate students are required to present their findings at a department-wide poster session at the end of the fall or spring semester (depending on which semester you graduate). Contact the FCS Graduate Student Assistant by February 1st for spring presentation and October 1st for fall presentation to schedule the poster presentation.

All forms listed above are also available on the FCS Department Website. Please refer to the current Graduate Student Handbook or contact the FCS Graduate Assistant for additional information.