Advising / Resources

Our Veterans Advisors assist military affiliated students from application through graduation. Navigating the intricacies of an academic plan while using G.I. Bill® benefits can be a challenge. We are here to help with that process. We provide information and assistance with utilizing campus resources to help student veterans and dependents in their path to achieving their academic goals.

Request an appointment with a Veterans Services Advisor (PDF)

Major Advising

The Veterans Services Advisors offer general advising and workshops that guide students through course requirements, how academics affect education benefits, understanding campus and VA policies, and other academic support. Veterans Services Advisors may refer students with questions about major requirements to their college or department advisors for additional guidance.

Priority Registration for Selected Student Veterans 

In accordance with the Assembly Bill 2133, California resident veterans, or those serving on active duty or in the National Guard or Reserve attending public colleges and universities are granted priority registration for classes for a period of four years, which must be used within 15 years of leaving active service. Eligible CSULB students must provide proof of service (i.e. a DD-214 or current enlistment contract) to the Veterans Services Office.

Military Leave 

Students absent from CSULB to serve in the Armed Forces of the United States may be eligible for:

  • Deferred Admission - Incoming students who cannot attend the first semester due to military obligation
  • Military Leave - Current students who must take a break in order to fulfill a military obligation
  • Readmission of Servicemembers - Discontinued servicemembers and veterans who were absent from CSULB for service in the Armed Forces and were not on an approved military or educational leave

Students requesting deferred admission or readmission must submit an Application for Military Leave (DocuSign)Current students can submit a request for military leave in MyCSULB Student Center. Instructions are on the Educational Leave section of Enrollment Services' website. 

As provided for in the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008, students will be allowed to return to the same program with the same academic standing based on the following provisions:

  • Absence is due to active duty service in the Armed Forces, including the National Guard or Reserves, for more than 30 days.
  • The cumulative length of all absences for service in the uniformed services may not exceed five years. This period includes only the time spent actually performing service, not the period before reporting for duty and the time between completing service and returning to the institution.
  • The servicemember or veteran notifies the CSULB Veterans Services Office of the intent to re-enroll within 3 years of completion of military service. A student who is injured during or becomes ill as a consequence of military service must submit his/her intent to re-enroll not later than 2 years after the end of the period that is necessary for recovery from such illness or injury.
  • Students will be returning to the same academic program, with the same academic standing that they were in at the time the absence began. Students will be returning to the next class or classes in their program after they provide notice of their intent to reenroll.
  • Eligibility under the terms of the HEOA terminates upon any of the following events:
    • Being separated from the Armed Forces with a dishonorable discharge.
    • Being dismissed as permitted under section 1161(a) of title 10, United States Code.
    • Being dropped from the rolls pursuant to section 1161(b) of title 10, United States Code.

A service member or veteran who does not meet these criteria is subject to current CSULB admissions requirements. Questions regarding CSULB's policy or procedures for military leave should be directed to the Veterans Services Office.

Referrals to Additional Services 

All students are encouraged to review and sign up for appropriate services at CSULB's Bob Murphy Access Center (BMAC), formerly known as Disabled Student Services, and Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS). Both offices provide professional staff services to assist students who may need accommodations or support. This includes testing accommodations, notetaking, accessible parking, individual and group counseling, and mental health and wellness workshops. These are all valuable services that any student, regardless of military affiliation, may benefit from.

These services are often used in conjunction with VA hospital services or Vet Center assistance. For more information regarding healthcare support through the Veterans Administration, please contact our VetSuccess On Campus Counselor.